How much is a reasonable amount a landlord should take out of a deposit?

We had lived at our house for 7 in half yrs. we are on section 8 so it's a section 8 rental.We gave her a proper 30 day notice and we moved out right on time,our deposit was $1200 and we only got $434 back.Her deductions were 3days unpaid rent $150,special cleaning(soap scum on bathroom tiles)$300 (5 hrs.@ $60hr.),sliding screen door and 3 window screens $116,other general cleaning (windows and floors)$100,missing towel bar $20,other degreasing/cleaning kitchen cabinets $100.So she kept $786 of our deposit does that sound right ?I was expecting her to keep $300 to $400,I think her cleaning amounts were rediculous and then she didn't return it to us until a month later.I had to call her and ask what happened to the deposit that's when she finally sent it to us.We want to take her to court do you think we should?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• That sounds about right. They usually will take a lot especially if you have lived there that long.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• A lot of that sounds like normal wear. That seems very high. I do not know a lot about rental laws though, but I will give you a bump. :)
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 5:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You were there awhile and I am guessing it had wear and tear where she had to replace things, repaint and what not. She has an itemized bill. You can try to take her to court, but you would probably lose.

Answer by gemgem at 5:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I can't believe you had to pay a $1200 deposit on a section 8 rental. It sounds like she has quite a racket going on. I'd look into who I could complain to.
    Anonymous

• Do you have pictures of the place once you moved all your stuff out, if not it will be hard to prove the condition the property was in when you left it..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Shoot I never got any back form any of my rentals. They keep it for carpet and paint replacement when you live there more than a year.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with anon&&midnightmoma
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 5:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would say that is a little much to be keeping. Maybe you should look in your lease about what you would have to pay for when moving out. Most of the time they won't keep any for everyday cleaning, but will take the amount to have the carpets shampooed. So I would look in you lease and see if it says anything.
    kmmorrow1983

Answer by kmmorrow1983 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Pricing will depend on where you live. As said by gemgem $1200 is a huge deposit for section 8 housing. Did you question the amount before signing the rental agreement? I thought (atleast in this area) that security deposits were paid or a majority of, through the program itself since it is for low income families. As for going to court I would have to say you probably will not win, not to mention the expense to process your claim.
    decor42

Answer by decor42 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• She only did repairs to that house because it didn't pass inspections for example her tub was really ugly it needed to be redone when we moved in I asked her if she could redo it she said she didn't have the money,well 2 yrs later housing made her do it.Her tenants before us were there for 5 yrs and she told us the carpet was 7ysr old when we moved in she barely replaced it with tile last yr cuz housing made her do it was 13 ys old.I cleaned her house realy good moped it and everything I guess it wasn't to her cleaning standards.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2011