Going to be starting daycare. Any advice?

Starting next week i will be taking care of two boys, ages 2 and 4, alongside my 4 month old daughter. I have watched them twice so far but am i little worried about doing it 5 days a week. I dont really have a choice though, seeing as how it pays our rent and it allows me to stay home with our daughter and saves us money on daycare.

lovemylife88

Asked by lovemylife88 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• You are brave! :) J/K...I think you will do great.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 5:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Get as much sleep as possible!
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Get licensed by the state. In a lot of state is you watch kids 5 days a week you have to be licensed.
    Zoeysmom09

Answer by Zoeysmom09 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have a contract also. Make sure you give yourself paid holidays even if you are not open and you are paid a flat rate even if they are not there.
    Zoeysmom09

Answer by Zoeysmom09 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• its for my neighbors who live across the street. they are also our landlords. and i live in canada :)
    lovemylife88

Comment by lovemylife88 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Depending on your state, 5 or MORE non relatives you have to be licensed. If your only watching 2 besides your dpchild, it's not a daycare. However, I would still write up a contract, and make them sign a payment agreement and it lets them know your discipline policy. Make sure the parents know your food plan, and your medicine dispense policy. You need to know emergency contacts, doctors, dentists, parents information, childs allergies..... If you have any questions, you can pm me, I'm in the process of starting my own and I have worked on my daycare policy book for weeks....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do the same thing...be sure to have them pay you at the beginning of the week.
    I have gotten screwed over more than once!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Set up a schedule to follow every day:
    Free play, breakfast, play, story time, outside play, craft time, lunch, movie, naptime, free play, etc.
    Try to give each week a theme. My daycare has week long celebrations for:
    Dr. Seusse's birthday, Ground hog day, spring, winter, President's day, painting. This week is the rainforest. She gears all the projects and books toward the theme. It's great for the kids, and they have a schedule they can count on. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• How much is your insurance?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ditto Zoey's mom response and rkoloms - make sure you homeowners insurance covers that type of activity.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2011