Pains in the jaw/teeth

For a few weeks now, I've been having a lot of pain in my teeth and jaw on my right side. I still have my wisdom teeth, my top right and left are all the way in, the bottoms are not. Now the pain on my right side is both top and bottom. Also I can't close my jaw all the way because it hurts so bad on that side, and really physically it just won't close, almost like it's locked or something. I can open it all the way just fine. Any thoughts on what this could be from? I'm hopefully getting seen tomorrow.

Yuriko_chan

Asked by Yuriko_chan at 5:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• Could be the wisdom teeth...or...do you grind your teeth in your sleep? Could be that...
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 5:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

It's probably TMJ.  I used to get it all the time through my teens and twenties.  It hasn't bothered me much in the last 10 years; not sure why it stopped.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 5:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I was wondering if it could be wisdom teeth. I don't grind to my knowledge, but I'd have to ask my husband for sure if I do. But he hasn't said anything about it.
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Does TMJ make your teeth hurt though?
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When my wisdom teeth were coming in all my teeth hurt like hell, and I honestly could barely chew food it was so bad. I had to chop everything up super teeny tiny. Glad I eventually got those suckers taken out.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I can't close my mouth enough to chew anything tiny.
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have no idea, but I hope you get some pain releife soon!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks! I appreciate that!
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It could totally be TJM disorder. When your TMJ is causing problems, it can make so many things hurt. It causes headaches, neck problems, it can cause you to have earaches. Your jaw can hurt, your teeth. Mine is bad, it pops and gets stuck, my jaw does not shut properly. They don't really do a lot for it and they don't seem to have a lot of answers for it either. They wanted to do surgery on mine but when I read up on it, I saw it can cause your whole face to look different and you have to go through a lot and sometimes it doesn't even work. I have just learned to live with my pain. Good luck though, I hope you have better luck with your doctor's.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks! I just just hope it's nothing serious! I was supposed to have braces and headgear in high school. I can't help but think if I got that I wouldn't be in this mess. O_o
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011