Have you ever had to move away?

I am almost 33 y/o and I have a husband and 3 kids, ages 9, 3, and 2. Myhusband and I grew up here, our family and friends are here. But we would like to experience some place different. More him than me but I'm game I'm just worried that my kids won't be ok. I'm also scared about starting new, it seems exciting but then I worry that I'll miss out on family and friend things. So I am just wondering that if you have had to this what was your experience like.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Travel

• Me personally.

I'm an "Experience Life" gal.. Have always been. I've traveled and lived in many parts of the world (between personal travels and time spent in the Peace Corps). I loved my travels, my experiences, the cultures I got to experience & live in, the people I met (many I'm still in contact with all these years later), I honestly have nothing negative to share in regards to my living in different places (in the world and in the States).

I'm not sure why you would think your children would not be ok? Think of the experiences that could have somewhere else that they can't have where you are now. Think of the different people they could meet. In turn they could learn much about other cultures/the way different people live, what all the world could possibly offer them as opposed to what that one place can. There are many positive aspects of moving and living in different places in my opinion.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We moved from our home state (since birth) of about 36 years to go to the next state over. We did it purely because the cost of living was much less and we could afford a home (not a mini-condo) there and I could be a SAHM.
    I'm not lying to you, it was hard for me the first year or so. I missed my friends and family, but what surprised me most was I missed the familiar LANDSCAPE. LoL
    So even though you guys are wanting to try someplace different, unless it's needed for financial reasons, consider maybe a vacation home someplace else. Or just take more vacations.
    Don't underestimate the power of the land on your heart. (or your family's)
    Dichroic

Answer by Dichroic at 5:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• last summer! i sold the house, retired from the salon and moved ds/i to where dh was living and working..4 1/2hrs from home/work/friends/familiarity. i'm still not used to it, and we've moved again, due to dh's job..another 4 1/2hrs away, but in the another direction..again, to a town we are unfamiliar with and know no one. its been hard.
    i'm getting used to it, and we actually bought a house here, so i know we won't be moving for a while. (hopefully) setting down roots makes it a little easier to shove yourself into the community and really make yourself get out to meet people. not working outside the home, i was able to be a homeroom mother, get involved with a ladies bible study (community) that meets every wednesday..that has given me the best opportunity to meet others, and be able to report-back to them on a regular basis. its nice to see the same group..and i hate studying/homework, but i love meeting the ladies!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It will be harder on you than your kids- especially the younger ones-they will be fine

Making friends in new states/ cities is HARD. We have lived in 7 states and it usually takes a couple of years before I make any firends at all...and then we end up moving again
    If you go to church, or have other activities you do- it may be easier though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I moved three times growing up. It wasn't bad. I missed my friends at first, but then I made new ones, and I kept in touch with the old for a while.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 6:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yesmfrom a big state to a little state with lots of different people and personailities
    SCOOKIH

Answer by SCOOKIH at 9:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes- it's hard, but with kids you'll meet people fast
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes it's hard but I thought it was worth it.  My kids were born in England and we moved to Canada when they were 6 and 2.  It was harder on my oldest who was almost 7 because she was not only changing schools but changing to a completely different education system, plus she had an accent which made her stand out a bit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've moved several times and I love it. I'd move in a heartbeat if hubby would go for it. Anywhere anytime!!!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Your kids are young enough - but you might experience "culture shock." Moving is stressful.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:31 PM on May. 5, 2011