When is it ok for baby to sleep with a blanket?

My 11 week old seems to sleep better with a blanket. I let him have one when he naps becuase I watch him, at night I don't give him one and he does not sleep as well.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 5:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried those sleep sacks? The little zip up blanket things? I am not sure if that would make a difference, but it could help. You can get them at walmart or target or some place similar. My daughter is ten months and she just started sleeping with a blanket. She rolls over and lays on her tummy now, so I am not as concerned with her suffocating. She usual kicks the blanket off with two hours.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• do you swaddle him? i would try to if you dont. if you do, that should be all he needs. my 9 month old sleeps with a blanket. normally they say about 12 months because after that age the sids rate plummets. if he does want a blanket, you can use a thin blanket and tuck it around the mattress, and make sure you place the blanket at about his nipples. Until he can roll over and he had the dexterity to move the blanket away from his face.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I don't think you are supposed to swaddle a sleeping baby. You can give your baby a blanket it you place it under her arms and then tuck it snuggle under the mattress, not under her. And don't leave it loose in the crib. If it's tucked under the mattress on all sides it's less likely to get kicked up over her face.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I've used sleep sacks, but my son seems to sleep better wearing just a gown and having a blanket tucked over him, just up to his belly. Make sure you tuck it in under the mattress (maybe even pin it to the mattress, if it pulls out too easily).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i think you can swaddle a baby while sleeping.They would sleep better because they are reminded of the womb.there is nothing wrong with it.They wouldn't teach you to do it at the hospital if it was a bad idea.but that's my thought on it.
    ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 6:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I guess I've been doing it wrong... My daughter has slept with a blanket since she came home from the hospital. When she still let us we swaddled her and tucked a blanket around her to keep her warm (she's a Feb baby), and during the summer a light blanket. She even sleeps with a blanket during nap time. I personally have never had any problems with this. She is my first and I've never been told otherwise.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 7:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i USED A BLANKET SINCE BIRTH..AS LONG AS IT IS BELOW HIS ARMS, HE WILL BE FINE .. MY 8 MONTH OLD USES ONE..HE CAN COVER HIS FACE AND PULL IT OFF BY HIMSELF, I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER FELT LIKE BLANKETS ARE HARMFUL..USUALLY WHEN YOU GO CHECK ON THEM..THEY HAVE KICKED IT OFF WHILE GOING TO SLEEP.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2008