Can ovarian cysts cause a false negative home pregnancy test?

To start off I have two 4cm cysts on my left ovary and I have had them since I was 14 I am now 23 years old (they might be bigger now). I got my period last month from the 23rd to the 26th and then I got my period again on the 6th of this month until the 12th. On the 19th of this month I had very light pink bleeding but only when I wiped after using the bathroom it wasn't enough for a pad or tampon. I feel like I might be pregnant but the HPT is negative. I do not have any health insurance and I don't know what to do. So do you think ovarian cysts could cause a false negative using a home pregnancy test?

sobus23

Asked by sobus23 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• find a free clinic in your neighborhood and get a blood test done
    Marie111348

Answer by Marie111348 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Depending on the cyst, they usually cause false positives I think. Go to your doc ASAP
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well the light pink bleeding when you wiped could have been caused by the cyst. I had two of them a few years back and I felt like I might be pregnant. When I went to the doctor they did an ultrasound and it was cyst. They had been causing discharge like you say you had and the doctor removed them and everything is fine now. So I would find a free clinic and see.
    kmmorrow1983

Answer by kmmorrow1983 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The only way to get a negative test on a pregnancy test is either :

1) You are NOT pregnant

2)You are pregnant, BUT you do not have enough hCG (the preggers. horomone) in your system for a positive test.

I don't believe cysts have an effect. If you are worried or have a prior health condition such as a cyst, it may delay or even cause fluctuations in your cycle.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 5:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Cysts won't effect a pregnancy test one way or the other. Cysts neither produce nor destroy hCG, which is what the pregnancy test is measuring. You can have a negative test and still be pregnant if there is not enough hCG in your urine at the time. hCG increases rapidly, so wait a couple days and retest.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I also have cysts which cause my period to be late all the time...and when I say late, I mean 2-3 weeks late. This month, my period was two weeks late but I did not think anything different expect for the fact that I was sick. Took a test and I will be 8 weeks pregnant on Sunday! I do not think the cysts effect the test at all, they just delay your period and make it hard to keep track of ovulation.
    SDA722

Answer by SDA722 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/can-ovarian-cysts-cause-a-false-positive-on-a-pregnancy-test  

So yeah, depending on the type of cyst you have, it can cause you to have a false positive, but they won't cause false negatives.  A corpus luteum cyst produces hCG so it CAN affect a pregnancy test.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011