Feeling kind of guilty

I've been letting my son sleep in my room with me, and he takes most of his naps in my lap or on my chest (occasionally he sleeps in his swing). He is four months and I am still breast feeding, but I feel guilty like I am doing something wrong by letting him sleep on me or with me all of the time (not guilty about the breast feeding though). People keep saying it's going to be really hard to get him to sleep later on when I do this all of the time, but I love snuggling my baby. Am I setting myself up for harder times? How to I make myself stop snuggling him, I love it sooo much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep doing what you are doing, if you and baby are happy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• A lot of people co sleep. We did it for a while. DD still takes naps with me, we take one together every morning. But she still sleeps in her crib at night, and right now is sleeping in her big brothers bean bag.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Just keep in mind it will be harder for baby to sleep in her own bed later. I recommend letting baby sleep on you for a bit, but then putting him down so you can get stuff done and baby can get used to being away from you. You don't have to do it all the time, but it will help later on.
    Anonymous

• Not necessarily, anon. My 3 year old DD co slept, and now goes to sleep by herself every night in her big girl bed. Every kid is different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I actually read in my book (Baby's First Year) that you can't spoil a baby in the first 6 months in any way.
    Anonymous

• We co-slept with all 5 of our kids. I have never had a problem getting my kids into thier beds. I'm transitioning my 21 month old now. He's still waking to nurse at night but wsleeps in his bed just fine.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• nothing wrong with what you are doing at all. our son wasn't out of our bed for night until six months and during the day he still napped on me until he was 8 months. he will be 2 in feb and does just fine at night and for naps in his big boy bed.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 6:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• During the first month I let my daughter sleep on me all day, and she slept just fine in her crib at night. She's now almost ten months old and she sleeps just fine by herself for naps and at night (except for the waking up part, but she's teething).

I miss her wanting to sleep on me :(
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 7:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You have to do what feel right, if you feel guilty about it then you need to examine your feelings a little bit more. If you and the baby really enjoy then keep doing it. For us it became a problem around 6 weeks so she needed to sleep in her bed for her naps. Good luck momma your doing a great job.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• With my 4th baby I did the same thing. I was so glad to finally get another little girl that she slept with me or in a cosleeper beside me for the first year. I was so attached to her that I even continued to breast feed until she was 2! Even I was embarrassed by that! I knew she would be my last baby and couldn't bear to quit! Do what ever you feel is the best thing for you and you baby. They are only young once!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008