How do you eat healthy on a tight budget?

lovemylife88

Asked by lovemylife88 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• go to the green grocers and buy fruit and veg that aint as fresh, with the veg just make a big pot of veg chilli or curry, lots of spices, lentils, kidney beans, veg yum yum yum
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dried beans are super, super cheap and very healthy. Buy produce in season and freeze/preserve at home. Stick with "bulk" proteins when using meat - cook a whole chicken or roasts. Limit processed foods.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• buy in bulk and also the stores were you bag your own items are cheaper
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I buy my meat in bulk and freeze it. I usually buy it biweekly so we have enough for dinners, and at the end of the month sometimes I have some left over. I make alot of homemade breads which is filling, and also pastas. That way I can add veggies and meat and know everyone is getting nutritious food but are also getting filled because of the homemade breads and pasta.

Answer by gemgem at 6:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yes i also buy meat in bulk and freeze it. Its great for dinners. I just have to remember to take it out of the freezer early enough so that it has time to defrost, lol
    lovemylife88

Comment by lovemylife88 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• canned veggies, or frozen veggies/fruit, pastas with homemade sauce
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Make foods from scratch. Find the cheap grocery store in town and shop there. Find a restaurant supply store (where you can buy food), and stock up. All kinds of foods can be stored. Be aware of how lean the meats are and such. They should be labeled. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Also, if you have room for a garden, that might be your best access to produce, and you'll know where your food is coming from.
    You might also talk to a butcher and see if you can buy a cow- you can get your meat much cheaper by buying half or whole cow and keep it in the freezer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I keep lots of frozen veggies on hand. I buy them when they are on sale and I combine them with coupons. I usually get them for $.25 - $.50 a bag and buy tons. I buy what ever fresh fruit and veggies are on sale (i.e. in season) and mix it up. I buy lots of dry beans and make them and freeze them to have them on hand. I make black bean burgers, soups, add them to salads etc. I don't eat a lot of meat, but when I do, I buy a whole chicken cook it and use it over 3 days usually for 3 different meals.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I buy meat in bulk and grow my own veggies.
    Amomand4kids

Answer by Amomand4kids at 4:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2011