Illustrator help someone? Anyone??

My DIL just sent me a 'scanned document' that I'm supposed to use as a basis to "loan her money" substantial money. $1500 for a transmission for her car.
She saved it as a PDF - and I opened it in illustrator. I released the clipping path and suddenly what was a 1 page document now appears to be 4 different documents layered over each other. Can someone explain to me how a scanned document has layers?
Either my brain has stopped working or she has forged information. (which would not be the first time she's tried to con someone in the family out of money). It's a sad state of affairs when you can't trust the girl your son chose to marry.
Am I right or am I wrong; a scanned document does not have layers unless layers were used to create it- right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Technology

• are you sure it was PDF? Could it have been PDN? A scan is a copy of the document, like a photo. Layers would only be there if it was created.
    Anonymous

• You are right. Layers would only be present if they are created. I would question where the document came from.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When I move the top layer it looks like an estimate from the shop she said she took her car to - BUT it also "looks" like she used white out or something to mark out the car model and price (on the original document). The top layer has 3 items on it, the date, the make and model (of her car) and the 'estimated price' $1500.
    She's tried to con her last time I swear I'm about to rip her a new one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011