Circumcision

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42784426/ns/healt...

How do you feel about this?

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 6:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry, NP, but I don't see how people can think they can deny my right to circumcise my child while we have things like abortion readily available and supported. And no, I don't usually speak against it, but in this case, that in itself seems a great hypocrisy. Abortion is far more barbaric. It ENDS the life of a child. But MY moral feelings on it does not give me right to deny that choice to people - so why do YOUR feelings have any merit in what I do with MY child? It's not abusive, it's not negligent or harmful, does not imply I'm an awful parent, it is a choice that merely alters the appearance. You may see it as unnecessary, as "cruel" or "barbaric", but that does not make it so. And thankfully your opinions do not dictate what I can or cannot do with my child. It is a valid medical procedure with benefits, and I am, and will continue to be, free to choose it for my children.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think it is overstepping. People have the right to make medical choices for their children and the Govt should not have control on any parental choice.

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• "and yet it's against the law to circ women/girls. Hell that's even called mutilation! Yes I am all for this ban"

And yet you don't even have the guts to post under your own name... If you're so proud to support religious persecution, at least be brave enough to do it openly.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It won't pass because it's unconstitutional, it violates the freedom of religion of Muslims, Jews and some Christian groups. The fact that this guy is so fanatically anti-circumcision that he cannot even suggest a religious exemption is going to be the downfall of his little bill.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it is over stepping boundaries, especially to say that they don't care about religious obligation. It should remain an option. I would not be opposed to a required information packet or 24 hour waiting period after being verbally informed of the pros' con's rick. I chose to circumcise my boy and I would hate for anyone to completely loose that choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do not see how such laws (IF ever passed) could be considered constitutional. Circumcision is a requirement for some faiths, therefore "outlawing" circumcision would be a direct violation of religious rights/freedoms that we have in this country. I don't think such a law would pass, however IF it did, I see it being struck down as unconstitutional very quickly.

My son was not circumcised due to religious and cultural reasons. I would be just as miffed if someone tried to pass a law making it mandatory as others should be miffed at the possibility of it being outlawed. I feel their rights to circumcise for whatever reason, are just as important/valid as my right not to.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are no health benefits to FGM, but there are to male circumcision, apart from religious significance.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Medical benefits =/= medical necessity

Male circumcision is not a medical necessity, but there are medical benefits. The APA recommendation, as I understand it, is against routine circumcision (as in, unless opted out) versus being a recommendation against the procedure itself.

FGM has no medical benefits.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• hmm I will NOT circumcise my DS's  but it is not anyone's choice but mommies and babies i would NOT vote for the ban that is ridiculous

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Cuff me and stuff me now. My son was circumcised 7 1/2 years ago and I'd do it again, given the opportunity.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011