How can I get my baby to nap in his crib?

My son has always napped in my arms, because the second I set him down he will wake up. How can I get him to sleep in his crib without crying it out? Thanks

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After about 5 months old my doctor advised me to start letting my daughters fall asleep on their own in their cribs. I know its rough because they will scream and cry, but if you just hang in there and do it he will get use to it and that's how he'll start falling asleep for naps and bedtime. You could also set him up some kind of bed on the floor out of the way (like in his bedroom) and lay down with him until he goes to sleep and then you can get up slowly and quietly and hopefully he'll continue to nap...Good-luck!!
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 9:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• do you swaddle him in blankets? my DD is 5 months and just recently started sleeping in her crib about a few weeks ago. i wrap her up real tight in a receiving blanket and then a regular soft blanket, rock her for a few minutes and then lay her down with her paci. she feels secure all wrapped up like she would if she was in my arms. good luck!!
    nikkimcnemar

Answer by nikkimcnemar at 6:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Does he sleep in the crib at night?

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i usually have to nurse my lo to nap. I try and set her down 20-30 minutes before i see her signs od tiredness. It usually works. But i'm looking to get out of the whole nursing/sucking to sleep thing.
    lovemylife88

Answer by lovemylife88 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• He will sleep in his crib at night sometimes. He usually falls asleep nursing and then I set him in his crib. He sleeps deeper at night, whereas he sleeps very lightly during the day. He goes back and forth from his crib to my bed at night.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My daughter is the same way. I'm having that issue right now! She's wks tomorrow btw. She sleeps in her bed at night - in her own room - but during the day she sleeps SO LIGHT!! I think she's in a heavy sleep and I'll go lay her down and she wakes right up and if I leave her starts crying then screaming. It's pretty frustrating. I let her cry a bit; but then I give up after 5 minutes or so. Sorry it's not helpful. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
    lauriep219

Answer by lauriep219 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011