Is telecommute positions incredibly hard to get? Do you have one?

With gas going up so high I would think that jobs would begin having more telecommute positions... Or am I looking in the wrong places?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• gas prices have no coorelation with business needs. Most employers do not consider outside factors relating to anything personal.

Telecommunte would be made available due to downsizing but I dont because employees have to pay an arm and leg to get to work.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be hard to get one going into a company. I had one several years ago, but I had been with the company for a year, was due with my child shortly and presented the plan to my boss. She needed me, and that made it more attractive to her - she could keep me and I could be with my baby!

Answer by missanc at 7:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The jobs won't come to you... Write a business plan, create a marketing strategy and sell your self to other companies... Tell companies how they can cut costs by contracting YOU to do work from them from your home...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It depends. The thing is EVERYONE wants to do it, or so it seems. So, when a position is open, literally thousands of people apply! I was actually just interviewed by Enterprise this past week, but my computer does not meet the specifications. I know that in my area, BCBS closed their doors and sent everyone home to work. Also Sprint hires at home workers here. Do you have a local call center, such as a Convergys? They are always hiring!  I blog about opportunities such as those in my blog:  Mavi's Home Work.   You are more than welcome to read through it when you have time.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The most successful ones grow out of an office job

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Freelancer.com will give you a wide variety of options to choose from. Just make sure you click on telemarketing or whatever it's called and apply your little heart out!! A lot of companies want you to have skype so you can record calls and listen to them, they look for mostly outbound calls. It is a free site to join and you have like 30 bids a month so choose the ones that you really want to do!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've read the trend is away from telecommuting but I think certain I.T. jobs offer that option.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011