Is there a safe amount of alcohol while pregnant?

Some say occasional red wine is fine, some say none at all....what's your take?

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I will admit when I have gone out to dinner with my DF and he's gotten wine I would taste it. Not drink it. But I would get a little taste because I love wine. But it's only been a few times. And my doctor literally laughed at me when I told her after feeling bad. She said "That's nothing to worry about". I have a friend that is pregnant and her OB told her that she can have up to 6 OZ per week. And she does. I don't give her crap for it. I just don't want to take the risk myself. I know that I would feel horrible if something went wrong I would probably immediately blame drinking.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Why would you take the chance?

Answer by missanc at 7:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• IMO it isnt worth the risk. But, it took 4 years of trying for us to get DS.... so I dont take being prego lightly or with some of the frivolty that others do...
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it all depends on your size, but I wouldnt even take the chance...better safe then sorry when your dealing with the life of your unborn child you know?
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• personally i say no alcohol better safe then sorry
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• A glass of red wine every once in awhile is absolutely fine. In France pregnant women have drank a glass of wine once in awhile for years. But once in awhile it the key. I am talking maybe once a month.

Answer by gemgem at 7:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• when i was pregnant i didnt drink at all if there was a chance even a small chance it could hurt my child i wouldnt take it. I dont understand how someone could take a chance with their childs life.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 7:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yep...none :)
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 7:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My take is none. I did taste beer and a wine on two separate occasions but never felt safe to a have full drink. I have a friend that was having some early but mild contractions and was prescribed a half glass of wine every evening to help her body relax.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• About 2 years ago, a univeristy said that one drink a week was okay. Personally, I'd abstain though.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011