Did she seriously just fall down the steps again?! i am in tears!

My youngest DD is 20 months and has fallen down the stairs in her grandmas house and now at our house. I want to cry. My oldest opened up the garage door and she tried to go down them like her sister. Well she fell. She has the biggest bruise on her left side of her back. I tried to catch her, but it was too late. When she fell at my MIL's house I hadn't even realized she had went up the stairs. I was in the bathroom and she had climbed over the baby gate. What do I do to prevent this from happening again? My oldest DD instantly started crying and kept saying I'm sorry mommy I'm sorry. She was trying te be a big helper and get me her shoes from the garage. Like I said, she is already climbing over baby gates and can open up the child proof locks on the doors.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Show her how to do it sitting down.

Answer by older at 7:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• For my one son, it was pointless to babyproof anything. That's when I learned the importance of teaching boundaries and the word "no". At first it drove me crazy, but after he got it, it was actually easier.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have and she normally does good, but lately she wants to copy what her sister does.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would try some sort of deadbolts at the top of the door out of reach of children for doors.... I don't know what to tell you about the gates, though. I would just keep the gates up as a deterrent, but keep a close eye on her otherwise. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Teaching not to copy is teaching boundaries as well. It's hard, I know, but you will get through it. I know you feel guilty, but things happen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• She is so different from my oldest. My oldest was and still is so careful, but not Drina. She is such a dare devil. She isn't afraid of anything.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh I am soooo sorry!! That is so traumatic to see your baby have a big fall. Hugs.

My kids are so accident prone, so we have everything super-bolted, locked, furniture bolted to the wall, etc. But, accidents do happen. Last time we were at my moms, my son thought it was funny to run towards the stairs and try to jump down. He climbed over the barrier we put down. It was frightening. He was one step away from tumbling. I can't even think about it!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know what you are going thru, mine was 11 months when she feel down the basement stairs. She used a laundry basket to climb over the gate the kind they are not suppose to be able to climb. Fortunately she only got some rug burn on her forehead and a bloody nose and a trip to the ER from it. She is still climbing everything so I have to very careful not to leave anything out that she can use as a step.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh honey, don't beat yourself up...things happen. I mean, you do what you can to keep the kids safe and healthy, but things just happen. I recently got to call poison control in the same week my daughter cut her finger open on some glass and needed stitches. Several years ago my cousin's son broke his leg at school and before she could stop blaming the school for not watching him, he broke his wrist falling off the side of their steps trying to go up them on his own with the cast on his leg.

If she is climbing over the baby gates, my gut says it would be a farther fall than if you took them down and tried to live on boundaries and demos. Recruit your oldest's help too...ask her to hold her hand and holler for you if she can see her going for the stairs.

Good luck mama...try not to take it hard.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If you are really worried about it put a hook and eye on the top of the door. Don't let them go down the stairs by themselves. Otherwise, have a fun day "sliding" down the stairs on your bottoms. If you stress the importance of showing her little sister the "safe way" she will feel very helpful and your little one will learn a less dangerous way to do it. (Putting your bigger daughter into a pillow case might make the whole thing more fun for her...)
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 8:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011