Can a bill collector call and tell you you have no rights?

In our state if you tell a bill collector to cease and desist on calls they cannot tell you they will call and harrass you everyday and that you have no rights and you cannot tell them to cease and desist. i had one call tonight on a prepaid card that i had put my own money onto and now they are trying to get me to pay a bill not only that but the phone is not in my name but my father in law as i am staying with him. I just had surgery for a c section on the fourth and having difficulties with it and now have had postpartum depression setting in. Now this. with a prepaid card anyway how can you owe when it was your own money to begin with? the guy was arguing with me saying it does not work this way and he will call tomorrow to. i told him you better not or you will be reported. he set there arguing with me until my hubby grabbed the phone and hung up on him.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• They can technically continue to call you until you put it in writing. Next time the asshat calls ask for his name, ask for the company name he works for, ask for their address. Explain you will be sending a letter asking them to cease and desist contacting you. Make sure you send it certified, and tell them they can only contact you in writing because asshat harassed you. Keep a copy for your records.

Answer by gemgem at 7:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Next time he calls, you tell him his call is being recorded and you will use it to prove his harassment.

Answer by older at 7:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No. I don't think so
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In my experience, they say a lot of things that they cannot say. One told me that he would "seize my assets" one time. I laughed. I told him I was a SAHM who rented. Good luck seizing anything. And this was for a bill that was already paid. Really, the best thing to do is call whoever sent your information to the bill collector and have them remove your name from the bill collector's list. (You may have to call them several times. I called every single time the bill collector called me. He'd call. I'd say, "I've already dealt with this." Hang up on him and immediately call the company that the bill was owed to.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would inform him that if he calls again, you will be reporting him to the police and that all calls are being recorded.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well, he can tell you anything he wants, but that isn't going to make it true. It's their job to get the money and they will pull anything out of their rear to scare you into paying what they say you owe. If that's the law in your state, then if he calls again, report him.

Have you not received a statement for this bill they are trying to get you to pay? And this is on a pre-paid card? Ummm... Sounds a little fishy to me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• They will call and tell you all kinds of bs. I had one threaten to have my kids taken away. I had told him it is down to feed my kids or pay you and my kids are more important - and he popped back with that! A prepaid card should not have any ability - because IF (and I don't know how it would be possible) you went neg when you put money back on it.......it would have covered the neg (say you were -5, put 25 on you'd only have 20).

Just keep hanging up on them.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 7:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• LOL i love ya Gemgem you made me laugh he was a big asshat.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011