BAD subsitute teacher

DD is in grade 2, and had an awesome teacher this year, one of everyones favorites, parents request this teacher and I have been very happy this year so far. She was set to retire(early) but kept the class as exciting as always, doing lots of interactive science experiments, feild trips, I could go on ... Anyhow for the past 2 weeks she has been away, family issues, and didnt think much of it. The sub they have, dd(who is a great student, and behaves well) has come home each day telling me more horror stories about the sub For example- Saying to a kid who uses crayons instead of pencil crayons "WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU, DID YOU NOT HEAR WHAT i SAID!" And another day, got mad at a few kids for cleaning up the wrong part of the classroom(bookshelf instead of floor) and then cancelled PE cause 2 kids were talking, and she made the class sit at their desks for 20 mins with their heads down(ya, that will help??)
Yesterday we find out that the original teacher wont be back at all this year....dd is not happy, nor are most parents. Then today dd says that a girl in her class had asked to go to the bathrom and the teacher said NO and then the poor girl peed her pants!! Then the teacher says Oh I guess you should have gone on your own time hey? ANd then sent her to the office....Ive told dd that she should continue to behave and just do the work and not to get too grumpy about the teacher, but after today and what happend to the girl, I am thinking the parents of the girls will say something, I know I would...but I hate to be hearing all this bad stuff everyday for the next 2 months... All i know about the teacher is that she is older, and normaly a higtschool teacher...

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should call the principle and let him know your concerns. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well, there is a huge difference about teaching high school and teaching elementary. I have done both and it can be culture shock. I used to tell the sub coordinator that she should not call me for elementary unless she had no other options. I think you did a great job encouraging your daughter to just keep doing what she does and not to get grumpy, but I think I would politely express my concerns to the principal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Wow! What about contacting some of the other moms and bringing your concerns to the principal. I know what it's like to have an intelligent, good kid with a crappy teacher. My son's kindergarten year was a debacle. The "normal" teacher didn't start the year until after Thanksgiving; she was on maternity leave. The substitute went ON maternity leave at Thanksgiving. There were 27 kids and only like 5 girls. It was an absolute nightmare and I didn't really catch on to how bad it was until there was only a month or so left in the year.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would contact the principle and see if they are looking into getting a permanent teacher for the rest of the year. Last year my son, who was in 5th grade, had a similar experience. They had a sub lined up and before the teacher left the sub was offered a full time job and took it so they had to scramble at the last minute.  The sub that they brought in was not very good and the kids didn't like her.  I also told my son to just stick it out, although I will never let that happen again.  He ended up not liking school at all that year and he is also a good student.  I understand wanting to work with the school & that finding good subs is hard although I would be calling and talking to the until something changes.  Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• call the principle dont wait for the other parentds maybe thats what they are all thinking well another parent will call
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 7:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would sit in on a class. Just pop in at a random time if you can, maybe on a few days. You will hear and see things first hand. Sometimes kids do exaggerate, but you never know for sure unless you have other parents tell you the same story or you hear it first hand. Talk to the other parents, too.

My DD had a teacher for 2nd grade. She was a little gruff but the kids all liked her well enough. Then in 4th grade her teacher had a baby in March. The former 2nd grade teacher took her place as a permanent sub. She was awful. Yelling. Teaching them stuff they had learned from her in 2nd grade. The parents who had issue with her sat in on classes and met with the head of school (we don't have a principal per se) and she was not rehired for the next year.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've not delt with a sub quite this bad, but I did have to deal with a pretty bad sub. What I did was gather all the parents in the class and asked them if they had head anything with the neew teacher. Then get all the parents together and talk to the principal. If the issue isn't solved let them know you will be requesting a different teacher.
    Michelle H.

Answer by Michelle H. at 12:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Get together with other moms and all of you voice your concern to the principle. The more voices the better.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• be sure to report the sub teacher cause kids don"t deserved be treated bad
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2011