Stupid dog!?!

i am about to hurt my dog. he gets in the trash can and tears apart my sons dirty diapers then this morning i changed and he tore apart a pair of my dirty panties. and they were my favorite pair!!!! i am so mad how do i get him to stop?!?

goobersmom713

Asked by goobersmom713 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Don't leave things like that where he can reach them. Put diapers in a can with a top.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• he knocks that one over
    goobersmom713

Comment by goobersmom713 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with mompam...There's not alot you can do other than put things away where he cannot get to them. My dog used to do the same sort of thing. Trash can with a lid sstopped him...it's worked for 7 years now.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Do you have a spare closet or cabinet where you can place your trash can inside? And the same with your hamper? Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Put the garbage in your son's closet and shut the door. Or in the laundry room. The same with the dirty laundry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My dog Gracie used to get in the kitchen trash if there was food in it. I solved that problem by putting the can on the kitchen counter out of her reach when I would leave. Dogs do not open lids or doors. Perhaps a laundry hamper made from a plastic container available at a hardware or department store would be helpful.
    KrazeeKatLady

Answer by KrazeeKatLady at 8:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dog-proof your home, . it is the only solution
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dog proof the house

crate him when you can't watch him

give him toys that will keep him busy

Increase the amount of exercise he gets dogs get destructive when they are bored or not well trained

shut bedroom doors

Keep trashcans where he can't get to them or get heavier trashcans that he can't tip

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I can completely understand your frustration. We have a Great Dane and she gets into and destroys EVERYTHING! For our kitchen, we purchased those baby gates that you can open the door to so that you do not have to climb over it. For the diaper problem I have a lock lid container for the clean diapers and a diaper genie for the dirty diapers. For the laundry problem, my husband built a laundry hamper with a lid on it, super convenient! Everything else in our house is stored in containers, things such as toilet paper, paper towels, still fall victim to our dog, however with containers, she can't reach them. I hope this information has been helpful! Good Luck!
    khebert

Answer by khebert at 9:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Train him to leave things alone. I have a puppy who is in the learning stages of this. He is not allowed near the garbage can. It's inside a cabinet but he knows it's there and tries to open it, I tell him "no" and I divert his attention to a dog toy and give him praise for that. Same things with the laundry basket and the shoes that I keep under the dresser. A dog can learn to have some self control and avoid the temptations, you just have to work with them and provide plenty of other outlets for their energy and mental stimulation.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 11:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2011