Ants!

We have a major ant problem due to DS sneaking and then hiding easter candy. Any home methods you guys know for getting rid of ants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I put whole bay leaves around the entry point. Every surface that the ant have trailed though gets cleaned and wiped down with vinegar to erase the smell of the track. I also do a quick poison spray at the external point of entry.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Rubbing alcohol kills them almost instantly, and it masks the scent of their trail so the other ants cant find their way there.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Grits! They carry it back to the nest, they all eat it, and it kills them!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Okay. I don't know where they're getting in but I'll be sure to add some rubbing alcohol to my mop water for the kitchen and even mop the porch with it. So mad at DS. He sneaks it at times when he knows we'll say no (like right before a meal or if he's already had snack) and we found out he's been stashing the wrappers and even the jelly beans that he didn't like, under his bed so we wouldn't notice. >:(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• don't know how grits kills them but I'll be sure to try it. Thanks. I just really need them gone before MIL comes to stay this weekend. Lord knows she criticizes my cooking and house cleaning habits enough as it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i never heard of this before. but if you leave cornstarch to where they're coming in from, they'll eat it and take it home with them, and i guess since they can't digest it, it will kill their family they took it home to too.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 8:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• exterminator
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Other then a commercial spray? No idea.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I use a bait made of borax and powdered sugar. I add a tiny bit of oil to bind it, then put it near where they enter the house. I spray windex or similar cleaner to kill and clean away the trail. It takes a day or two of them coming to the bait and eating it (hard to allow unless it's in an out of the way place). The borax will kill the workers and the those in the nest that they feed. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• BTW: The insecticides commonly used for home and garden bug sprays have been linked to Parkinson's disease.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011