Do you plan a dinner menu for the week ahead?

if so, has it helped you save money in the long run?

i did this for about a month, maybe a year and a half ago. i cant remember the success of it, but i do remember it was kinda fun and made grocery shopping somewhat easier. i would plan ahead, look thru my pantry and make my list from there. the next day i would go shopping and get everything i needed. most of it i had on hand anyway.

im thinking about starting it up again, in hopes i might save some money that way if i can plan my meals better. plus, i think it would be fun to let my 4 year old pick a meal one night and my hubby another night.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I LOVE doing it! I do it every week, and it saves us from throwing away a ton. It also helps me keep track of what we need and nothing more. I plan nights of leftovers, which also helps eliminate trash, and helps plan for those long days we know are coming. Especially while we're doing a remodel (right now), it's great for the days I know we'll be working late. I also plan some crock pot meals, and I mark on my menu when I need to take things out of the freezer to defrost. It saves me SO much time and money over the course of the week. It's awesome! Plus, it eliminates DH asking what's for dinner- he can just go look at the fridge. I've even started planning out breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week. It's great!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i always shop by thinking of meals I want to make. Dont have them planned for any certain days really. I just know that i will make them. Then i will pick up odds and ends so if i want to make something different than what i planned or for when i want something certain really bad.
    ladyb155

Answer by ladyb155 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• we did it where we worked sometimes it helped sometimes it didn't because if one of the clients wanted something different that night it wasn't there to eat!Other than that I see it as fun.
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 8:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Also, planning my meals helps me try out new recipes that have obscure ingredients I may not normally pick up. I buy spices from bulk jars that I don't need a ton of.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I plan out a month's worth of meals and shop accordingly. I'm not strict about it being Monday on the calendar, so we must have ____________. I use it as more of a guide because I know I already have everything needed on hand, and can pick and choose based on what sounds good that night. Also, doing it for a full month means more choices and options that way. I save money because I'm not buying groceries that just sit in the cupboards/fridge because they were bought without a plan.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do sometimes ,but usually I will just cook day to day that way it would kind of be a suprise for everyone.
    SCOOKIH

Answer by SCOOKIH at 8:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes - I don't necessarily have planned what night we will have what, but when I grocery shop I have a list that contains 7 meals for the week. I post the choices up on my frig and what gets cooked what night depends on what type of day I've had! I definitely think it saves money.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do. And it usually does help me save money. I'm much more likely to stick to what I need to buy and not buy extras if I have a list with all of the ingredients I need for the week. Whereas if I just go to the store and wander about, trying to come up with meals as I go, I get distracted and walk out with a ton of junk.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i tried to do that but the menu plan that i did hubby did not like it lol. so i haven't done it.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i try to but usually cant stick to it lol
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011