Cat slammed foot in doorway =(

My indoor cat tried to run out the door. Well stupid me didnt check to see if she was anywhere around & shut the door as I was walking into the house & just kept walking. A moment later I noticed the cat was running but kept falling on her side like she had a balance issue. She got to a spot & finally just quit trying to run. After her resting for a few minutes she got up & we watched her. One of her back legs seemed to not be straight per say & she was kind of limping on it. She went somewhere in the house to lay down. I let her rest for a few minutes then went in to see her. She is laying down her side the same one that the hurt foot is on. I touched it & she didnt seem to mind/care or make any noise. I didnt feel anything broken as I even put pressure on the foot to feel the bones in there.

I am figuring she twisted it rather then broke it or something & will hope that rest helps it out =( poor kitty. Just wanted to see if any of you ladies had any advice on helping her with her recovery or if there is something that I dont know about cat anatomy/injuries & should? Anyone had this happen to their cat before? Thats all thanks.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• if it swells or feels hot take her to the vet asap. If she's laying on that side and even trying to walk on it then it may just be bruised. The best thing to do is to check on her frequently for signs that something's wrong but other than that, leave her alone. Let her rest to heal it up. If she's still not walking on it or has trouble with it in the next two days or so I would take her to the vet anyway just to be sure.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have done this and have felt like a heel for days even though it didn't happen on purpose, they heal quick, she is probably just sore, just be extra nice to her.......

Answer by older at 7:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks MamaStuart, we'll do just that keep an eye for swelling in the next couple of days. She is actually now up & walking around pretty much fine so I would also guess it to be a bruise.

Thanks older, I do feel pretty awful!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Keep an eye on her. If she continues to limp becomes none weight bareing or there is swelling I would take her in. One of my cats fractured his hip just from jumping off of something that was not all that high. He landed just right. He was still a kitten when this happened and we were so afraid he would end up having to have major surgery. We had to keep him in a dog crate to keep him somewhat still and thankfully it healed just fine, no surgery needed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011