Is some way to prevent ear infections?

Hi my baby is 13 months old he has been getting ear infection so far 4 in 5 months, he also has a heart condition thats why im always worried...my question is what did u do to prevent ear infections?

Mommyblue12

Asked by Mommyblue12 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didnt touch my daughters ears... not even to clean it. her ears werent dirty, like ever. so i never had to. and when i gave her a bath, i dont make her ears go under water.
    Anonymous

• Good hand washing--ear infections are often a complication of the common cold with the fluid that accumulates in the ear. Be careful with getting water in his ear during bath time as the PP stated. I don't know how long his hair is, but we always blew my daughter's hair dry after baths so that no water was dripping in her ears or lying against her ears as she slept. I hope he grows out of it soon. We had the same problem with my daughter, and she always had terrible vomiting with her ear infections--not fun!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son has his 4th ear infection, in one month, and our pediatrician suggested that we may have to put tubes in his ears. Have you talked to your ped about this?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Your child may just need those "tubes" in his ears till he outgrows this faze. Lots of young kids have to get them as the eustachian tube is not curved yet. Talk to your Dr about it. Your child may also have allergies causing more sinus fluid build up in the tubes causing the infections.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• it is common for kids under 4 to have up to 9 ear infections a year because the ear canal hasnt had a chance to curve yet. Theirs are a short straight shot to the inner ear unlike an adults that slightly curves....which makes it easier for the little bugs to get in there. Make sure they wear a hat if outside and windy, try not to get water in the ears when giving a bath...if you do you can always dunk a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and dab it on the outside of the ear (it helps to evaporate the water in the ear which gives the bugs a good place to grow), babies ears dont need to be cleaned more than once a month because the wax glands havent matured yet, hand washing good hand washing and hygene is important to. I had to get tubes in my ears as a child to help them drain, a lot of kids do. Ask your child's pediatritian about them next time you go in.
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 2:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My dd has had so many ear infection sense I stopped breast feeding it has been like 5 in 4 months and her doc is talking about putting tubes in her ears. Witch I really don’t want to have to do. The sad thing is that in the winter kids get more ear infections. So that is something that may be good for you to know. But the doc told me to put soft ear plugs in her ears when I give her a bath so that no water can get in there then after the bath dry her eras out with an ear swab.(just the outside the part that you can see) put hats on that cover the ears. My dds ear infections come back so much because she has really bad allergies and she always has drainage in her ears. Just try to keep any water out of you Childs ears good luck.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• omg girls thanks so much for ur help, if u know anymore tips about ear infection ill be glad to take it cuz yeah the tubes are a posibility but if i can reduce the ear infection that will be grat
    Mommyblue12

Answer by Mommyblue12 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2008