Why would a question be moved by the community?

I asked a question about my son questioning things, the example I used was Noah's Ark, but I asked it in just for fun, because I was wanting to know about other kids "detective" skills,, LOL

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 8:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Some people may be looking for points by moving questions. There are a couple of points involved, but I may be wrong about that motive. Just one idea. Some people just look at the title of the question, but don't read the whole question and realize it's where it ought to be. Who knows? =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Anyway, the post you are describing sounds like it's a toss-up on which category would have been correct. For what it's worth, cafemom does say that some posts may fit correctly into more than 1 category and that in those instances, the post should be left where the OP put it. Obviously some people do not abide by that.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sometimes questions truly are in the wrong category and need to be moved. But there are 2 other kinds of recats I have noticed...

the spiteful recat: someone doesn't like the question and/or the poster, so they try to move it to a lame category like Back To School

the-recatter-lacks-comprehension-skills-recat: the mover either doesn't read the entire to question which would have explained the category, or the mover *thinks* it belongs to a different category when it doesn't.

Example of that: someone says that she and her DH are having issues because they can't agree on what to look for in their first home. It's causing tension, and now the MIL is getting involved. The poster puts this in Relationships. Someone else comes along and sees the word "home" in the post, and thinks that means it belongs in Home and Garden.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You have to be a certain level to be able to move questions. I have seen a group of women abuse it big time when ganging up on certain OPs.
    Anonymous

• This happens to me ALL of the time,

It takes 4 more people who agree to move it than people who disagree to move it, and if 3 disagree, the option to vote on moving it goes away. Most questions are moved out of About Cafemom because some people post ALL of their questions on any subject in this section, even though it's only for questions about the actual website. A lot of others get moved to c4c because they're bump begging. Honestly kimi, I haven't seen your name come up there often enough to remember it. The people who get the "spite thing" - you KNOW it's happening because everything they ask gets nominated all day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• thats what the Recategorize button is for i guess. i just asked a question in "Just for Fun" and it got moved to Food & Drink by the community (which im assuming is fellow CMers). its where other people feel the question belongs more appropriately i suppose.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It's other moms that move it, not CafeMom. If something seems like it fits better in another category, moms can recategorize it, once they've reached a certain level.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Some of them being moved I understand. Others I do not. You can always move it back by editing your post.
    Anonymous

• most people thought that would be more appropriate for one of the kids sections i guess. i guess just for fun means stupid stuff like 'what's your favorite color?' and things that don't really fit in elsewhere. i guess that's it.....i could be wrong lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Members who are a level 26 and above have the ability to recommend that a question be moved.

Usually, when a member recommends a category change, it's because they feel the question would be more appropriate in another section or (which this I have found to be the case most often) they think a question will get more answers (and sometimes better more subject based answers) if the question is moved to another section.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011