What are some environmentally friendly alternatives to lysol wipes?

i like to use lysol wipes to clean off the counter tops after i have been fixing chicken or other meats to avoid contamination and illness. are there any better solutions? i also use them to wipe down the toilets (i have 2 small boys....sometime the outside of the toilet can be as gross as the inside) so any tips for that would be great too lol. i would also like some suggestions for shower cleaners. i have hard water so that's a pain and so far the 'scrubbing bubbles' crap is the only thing i can get to make a difference. i would like to switch to using no chemical cleaners, but lysol wipes and shower cleaner are the only thing i use (i use a steam mop for the floors and i use plain water and a micro-fiber cloth on the windows/mirrors). my other alternatives have worked better than the chemicals so i am really hoping to find something that works well as a disinfectant. i guess i should add that i am not fond of vinegar if that is an option (and yes, i can still smell it lol i have the nose of a bloodhound). my counter tops are corian if that matters. thanks ladies!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• White vinegar.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yuck lol....vinegar makes me feel ill. i read that you can use it diluted to clean your floors and supposedly you can't smell it afterwards, but i had to re-wash with something different and air out the house. i really don't like vinegar (as i mentioned in the question)
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Peroxide
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know you didn't say vinegar- but it is one of the best natural disinfectants. Otherwise a cut lemon is a good cleaner. Just cut a lemon in half and rub it over counter tops, etc.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• lemon...vinegar
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Vinegar is one of the best disinfectants out there aside from nasty bleach and other chemicals. It is natural and the smell DOES go away once it evaporates. I've been using it for years. It took awhile for me to get used to it, but now I do not recognize the smell as being nasty. I recognize the smell as being clean and chemical-free. I will NEVER go back to using regular store bought household cleaners.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 10:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Flannel wipes w/ a vinegar solution
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• vinegar
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i agree, lemon and vineager
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• cloth wipes with a vinegar and peroxide solution.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:31 AM on May. 1, 2011