Epidural or spinal?

When you go in for a c section do they give you the option on whether you wanting an epidural or a spinal? what are the pros and cons of each one and does one hurt more than the other? I have heard that a spinal hurts more. is this true?

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 8:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd ask your OB what the procedure is for where you're delivering. I believe the standard procedure is a spinal, but I could be wrong.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When you are in labor-nothing is "painful". They insert the needle in when you are having a contraction and you won't notice it. I've had both. The labor pains are worse.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• but if I have a scheduled c section won't I not have any contractions?
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have had both, neither of them had any negative side affects on me. I didn't find one to hurt more than the other, but I was told spinals last longer.....
    If you have the option, get dura morph in your epidural/spinal....it's a wonderful thing! lol 24 hours without pain :D
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 8:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• mine were scheduled, except for the first one
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 8:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had a spinal simply because my understanding was that an epidural was unnecessary. The surgery was going to be relatively quick--about 45 minutes, tops--so there was no need for the epidural, which provides the opportunity for ongoing pain relief during extended periods, such as labor. I had 2 c-sections and did spinals both times, so I can't compare the pain to an epidural. I will say that I had some discomfort during the first one, but not the second time. I doubt there's much difference for most people in the spinal vs. epidural as far as pain during the event.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• what is dura morph?
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh sorry, I guess I should have mentioned in case it wasn't a given--both of my c-sections were scheduled. Not the route I would have chosen, but I had some problems w/ my pregnancies.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• no, that is not true that a spinal hurts more than an epidural. they both go in the same place, same procedure, etc. just an epidural is a catheter they can add more medicine to later and a spinal is a shot of medicine ( no catheter, so they can't add more later). usually if they are doing a planned c-section they will give you a spinal. the meds. in a spinal last for a short amount of time.....long enough to do a c-section, but you will not be in the recovery room forever. they do an epidural for women in labor because you don't know how long the labor will last. a c-section will take a predictable amount of time. i know alot about this subject lol....my hubby is an anesthesiologist and i have had 4 c-sections.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• she is talking about morphine added to the spinal. they do that for everyone i believe. the morphine can make you itchy, but it does provide good pain control for 24 hrs. as she said.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011