Pet Mice?

Okay, so was at a pet store yesterday with my 5yo DD just looking around at their animals when DD looked down and yelled "RAT, MOMMY!" I looked down and saw a little brown mouse just hanging out. So I alerted an employee who was close by, who came over and picked it up. She said it wasn't one of theirs and said that she'd just hold it as a feeder. The animal lover in me just couldn't have that so I asked if they could just sell it and she said no, but pointed out how friendly he seemed to be (he was just sitting on her hand all calm and such) and asked if I wanted to take him home instead. So, yeah, we now have a "pet" mouse.

I had gerbils once and I know they are social creatures...are mice? Should I go out and buy him a friend? Would a "wild" and "domestic" mouse get along? We have Aspen bedding that we use for our dwarf rabbit (and did for our gerbils too), is that okay for a mouse?

Any friendly advice would be appreciated!

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I have had several mice and they make amazing pets. You can keep it solo as long as you play with it a lot. We had one that would ride on our shoulders and go out for ice cream with us. Be VERY careful if you buy it a friend! If you get the opposite sex they will breed and breed and breed!
    For bedding I think we used the "fluff" that they could tear apart and stuff into their hidey-holes themselves.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Mice are very social, so a friend might be good. They are territorial, though, so you might want to watch them together to begin with. Male mice will sometimes fight fiercely, and they can have a really strong smell. I am not sure how a wild and domestic mouse would get along. Aspen bedding should be fine.

TooManyOwls

Answer by TooManyOwls at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would wait a few days before buying a companion mouse- just to make sure the possibly wild mouse is okay in a cage. I had a domestic mouse once (I had a few different mice, but I'm only talking about one)... a wild mouse broke into the cage and impregnated her. One day I came home from school to find 12 wild baby mice escaping the cage and running wild all over my room. They ate books, clothes, and so much more. It was crazy!!!

I love having pet mice. Haven't had any for years- but hopefully someday once the kids are a little older. Congrats on the cute new addition!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh gosh don't buy him a friend,, then your going to have about 20 mice,, LOL,, I think the bedding would be just fine for him, I think you can feed him hamster food.. YOU are an awesome mommy.....I don't care for mice, and you probably saved him from being snake food,,just make sure you kiddo washes her hands after she plays with him,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had a mouse when I was little. He ended up being VERY expensive because he had cancer and we took him to the vets. Who would have known that a $2.00 mouse would end up being so darn expensive!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm not sure.... you can call and ask at the pet store. I always had single mice... they were so cute. ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Interesting because that was my first thought...sick mouse. I am sorry he died : (

Wild animals don't sit quietly for humans so be careful...also a wild animal that happily approaches you can be rabid. I am not saying this mouse was rabid, but just be cautious with the wild critters who might display uncharacteristic behaviors.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your responses, but the mouse is dead. We went to go hold him and he was gone. Guess that's why a "wild" mouse was so okay with being held...he was too sick to protest. Poor little guy.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I thought the same thing and even kept telling DD that I was worried that something was wrong with him. But I honestly don't know anything about mice, so figured maybe they were just really lazy. In fact, we have problems with mice getting underneath the cap of our propane tank and DH told me that he was sure he would have been able to pick up and hold one of them because they never really ran. So I was hoping..... :-(
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Awwww... poor guy. Mice are normally extremely active... they are always on the run. A mouse that is easy to catch in your hand is either a young baby, sick, or tame.

I had pet mice as a child, and they were sweet little pets (hard to handle for young children though- they are runners!) They do like company, but it can be hard to properly sex baby mice. For that reason we usually only had one at a time and gave them lots of attention. Just passing the info along in case you want to look into one as a pet in the future!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2011