Dentist tomorrow & huge phobia (any ideas?)

okay, if you read friday night i was having major tooth pain. (im pretty sure its absecced, the tooth itself is discolored, and has a whole in it) VERY PAINFUL... i was gonna wait till monday to call the doctot/dentist... Sunday afternoon it hurt so bad, i was sick to my stomach i called the ER and the OB Doctor there called me in penicellin and tylonel 3 , and told me to call the dentisit and my doctor on monday.....

So Monday I called the dentist and told them about it and there gonna see me at 11 tomorrow, i have a doctors apt. at 8:30 and they just told me to get a note from the doctor saying i could get it taken out.

The problem is , i have a huge phobia of Dentist, and really only dentist. Some people think im crazy but for some reason as soon as i step into a dentist office , its almost unexplanable, i start to panic majorly (once this dentist "tried" to get me to lay back , my heart start to race and i bite her) (then another one "tried" to numb the tooth, I had my eyes closed ,trying to stay calm, i started to panic and jerked around and the needle got stuck through my lip) ...... so I normally am given happy pills, i really cant take them since im pregnant.

Its a differnt dentist office then i noramlly since, i tried to explain to the lady that i have a real problem. Any ideas on what i could do to help? Anyone else been in the same boat? My husbands going with me tomorrow , but im still really nervous and worried.

Any advice would be nice, please no bashing though, its a real fear of mine.

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You MUST tell your dentist that you are scared. I have like panic attacks when I go. They will give you gas and stuff to make you comfy. Plus, usually headphones for some relaxing music. But trust me, they only hook you up with the good stuff if you tell them your fears.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• well hun i'm sorry that you're so scared about going to the dentist. but here is something even scarier. if you have an abcess it will be very easy for the infection to enter your bloodstream and that could kill the baby. so it's very important that you get it taken care of. many times we have to do things that we are scared of for the sake and safety of our children. so i wish you luck and for your baby's sake don't put it off
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yes, im doing this for the baby, but i dont think they'll give me any thing since im pregnant... When i told the lady on the phone she sort of laughted, like haha, yeah ok.

she doesnt understand , i really hope its quick
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• no, there are things they can give you even though you're pregnant. you can still get your x-rays done too....you just wear a bunch of aprons instead of only 1. gl....you'll be fine!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I wish i had a Magic Answer for You & Myself Too! LOL! i have the Exact Real Problem! just thinking about going puts me into a Major Panic! (and, i am getting ready to have some major work done:( anyway, just tell them as soon as you get there that your anxiety is over the top- they are usually good with helping you feel better- i have no idea what they can give you to help keep you Calm while being pregnant but, there has to be something- maybe, Laughing Gas?! Wishing you So Much Luck- i understand, believe me!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i too have an intense fear of the dentist. well, had, i should say. when i was pregnant with my 3rd i had a wisdom tooth that rotted and chipped off, exposing the nerve. very very intense pain. however during my pregnancy it would only come and go. i didn't get it taken care of during pregnancy, and after i had her the pain disappeared for a few months. but then it came back, and hit me like a train. i would literally be on the floor in the fetal position in such agony. i went to the dentist 3 times and left each time, too scared to go through with getting it removed. but the pain got so terrible that not even extra strength vicodin was helping. so i sucked it up and went. the whole time my heart was pounding, i felt like i was suffocating, all the classic symptoms of anxiety. but the entire procedure last 20 minutes. and the outcome was the biggest reward: no more pain! i had the gas but honestly it didnt do much.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• im pretty sure the laughing gas is out for you. however i do think they will still do the novocaine. like i said, the gas didn't do anything for me. i think if you go in calm, the gas gives you that silly effect, but if you go in panicky, it helps slow your heart rate and slightly calm you but thats about it. atleast in my experience. people were telling me id be seeing things and hearing things.. yea none of that happened while on the gas.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• ok, well i hope so!
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If the Lady Laughs at you when you get there; tell her this is a Real Issue with you & if they can't deal with you then you need them to give you a Referral for a dentist for High Fear Patients-ASAP! Her attitude will change quick:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• mmmmm, i just dont think they relieze, like i try to tell people how scared i am and they brush it off ...... I'm just anxious and the pain will put it in such agony i will get sick. It is horriable, i hate taking meds since im pregnant i feel so guilty! but ive taken that tylonel 3 twice, the pain was just so much.........

juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011