Nursing while pregnant? Tandem nursing? Thinking of doing something you might try to talk me out of, but I want all opinions and honest feedback!

I am pregnant with our third right now, and my partner wants one more after this. I am quickly reaching the point where I have lost my tolerance for pregnancy and already feel like it is taking a much harder toll on my body this time. So if we are going to do this, I would pretty much like to do it right away.

What I am considering is using nursing as a natural birth control...and as soon as pregnancy happens, it happens.

However, I have not nursed while pregnant before, nor do I know anyone who has. And what about tandem nursing a newborn and this baby if it hasn't weaned by the time the new baby is born. It is quite important to me to be able to nurse for at least a year, and I am hopeful that someone will be able to offer me some advice here.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Look into a breastfeeding group or the natural pregnancy and childbirth group. There are a lot of ladies in those groups who have done this:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't have any experience personally, but several of my friends have nursed all the way through their pregnancies with no complications, so it certainly can be done. I imagine just a little bit of reading up on what additional nutritional concerns there may be is all there is to it. Hopefully some others will have more personal stories and advice...here's a bump, good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well first of all it might be hard to get pregnant while nursing, and if you don't want anymore after this, could DH be happy with 3 kiddos? My mother is one of 13 children,, all born exactly 2 years apart! As soon an grandma weaned them, she would get pregnant with another,, LOL! But never while nursing,, I do know that tandem nursing is okay! Good luck, your a brave soul,,lol!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I haven't done it, but I know a few moms that have, and they've all been glad they did. The only risks are associated with high risk pregnancy (because nursing causes uterine contractions, but you have contractions throughout pregnancy). You can look to kellymom.com or llli.org for great tandem nursing information, and even google. There's nothing wrong with tandem nursing, if you're up for it! The biggest problem I've heard about from moms that have done it is that their nipples are more sensitive during pregnancy, so it can hurt some to nurse then. There may also be a flavor change in your milk, which may deter your older child from nursing (it's a biological thing to wean one child so your body can nourish your fetus, leftover from times of famine). Make sure you get PLENTY of nutritious foods, and take your prenatal vitamins!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Don't get me wrong...I LOVE taking new babies home, and would be glad to have a 4th child, it is just the additional pregnancy. I am honestly looking forward to the point that I know my childbearing days are finished and my body belongs to me again.

I am fine with it taking a little longer, and I expect probably at least 6 months (that is the soonest my cycles have ever come back while nursing in the past), but I just want to get this DONE asap. LOL Interesting to know that the grandmother went 2 years between births due to the nursing.

It is reassuring to know that people pull this off successfully, because I don't want to "jip" the baby I'm due with now on breastfeeding time because I am in a hurry. I'm sure there will be a lot of calories involved.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I nursed my daughter throughout my pregnancy with my son. Once he was born, she ended up serving as a sort of natural breast pump, emptying me after he had his fill. I had no complications with either breastfeeding while pregnant or nursing two at once. I never breastfed them at the exact same time though because they both had different sucking techniques and it honestly felt weird. I obviously got pregnant while breastfeeding my daughter but that was because I did not want to take birth control pills and mess up my milk supply and I did not know I was ovulating since I was never regular. It takes a lot of effort on your part if you breastfeed while pregnant . You have yourself, your unborn, and your nursing child to nourish. Good luck!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011