Which is better for stripes fabric?

I recently bought blue with white stripes fabric, which would be better make a top or dress with the stripes going horizontally or vertically. or mix of both at the waist or something?

FON

Asked by FON at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you would kinda need more detail .. very confusing? good luck
    sydney1026

Answer by sydney1026 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'd say vertical- but then I definitely do not need any horizontal lines making me look bigger ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• How lightweight is the fabric? That would influence me on whether I made a blouse or a whole dress.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• More info would help you get better advice.

Generally, horizontal stripes are believed to make us look wider, while vertical stripes make us look taller/thinner. The wider/bigger the stripes, the more true this tends to be.

If you are making a garment with stripes, be sure you match your stripes -- the mark of a quality garment. If you can manage it, and the style allows for this, a diagonal stripe for the bodice (making a 'V' in front and back) can be particularly slimming. :-)

GL with your project.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• well aunt and uncle say vertical
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2011