Therapist

I am in the process of looking for a therapist. Have you seen one before? Any suggestions? Also, my regular doctor gave me a list and some are MFT, what is that? What I mean is usually after the name its Ph.D, but there are some that have MFT. I was just curious.

Any pointers or suggestions please!! Thanks!

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 8:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• MFT is marriage and family therapist. It's a master's degree, lower than a PhD.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm guessing marriage and family therapist? Not sure, but it could be right? lol
    I posted on another lady's post about all therapists not being created equally.....so shop around. A therapist should work for you....you'll know it's a good fit when they bring stuff up that you didn't know was inside! GL! xo
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 8:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Make sure when you find a therapist that you are completely comfortable with. Keep an open mind. Don't go into it with a closed mind
    . They are there to help you so feel free to say what's on your mind. Its the only way it'll work. MFT is licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 9:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i highly recommend researching psychotherapy. the point of it is to let your guard down, admit your true faults, accept yourself as you are, and then start cognitive behavioral therapy to change the these things. cognitive behavioral therapy uses shaping, operant conditioning youtube maslow's dogs or ping pong pigeons to see how a little training can really change one's behavior.
    have hope, take initiative, do your homework and create a therapeutic relationship. those are all keyes to success coming from a psych major. your doing the right thing
    good job. pain is relief, then the excitement and pride that you're in therapy will kick in after about 10-12 sessions on average, and you will feel more capable of things you never knew you could. you will have amazing strength! :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• that didnt quite answer your question, sorry but i hope it helped you see the process of therapy
    MFT means they have their masters in family therapy and they are sometimes more capable and empathetic than phd therapists only because a lot of the phd folks i speak with say (and im not kidding you) "now that i have my phd i dont have to worry about that"
    meaning they don't really put heart into their work, just heads up
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Not everyone will like the same therapist, so you may have visit a few before you find your match.. We dont just chose 1 dr - nope we keep looking around until we find the one that fits our style..
    Think about if you feel comfortable with a male/female... Alot of them will have a therapist bio somewhere online, so google their name & see. You may find one that rings a bell with you from that..
    If you start seeing one & after a while they are not doing anything. Stop going & move on... You will start to have a relationship with them, but dont feel guilty for the "break-up" this is a payed for friendship! lol..

I went to one a while back & it was great..But $ got tight & I started to feel maybe we where not right (she was ending session 10-15min early, and she stuck on my fathers death when i feel she should have moved on)

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Also. ask about their private experience with what your attending therapy for...
    If a therapist has been through 5 divorces, it may not be the best marriage councelor, or helping you through your first.
    We are all human & their life may effect how they care for/ treat their patients.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I recommend that you find one that you are really comfortable with, Check out what styles they use, etc. and don;t hesitate to leave one you don't like.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• All you ladies have been very helpful! Thank you so much!
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Marriage Family Therapist
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2011