Whats the best way potty training a 4 yr old autistic boy

whats a quick easy way to potty train a 4 yr old who is autistic, i think hes ready but he freaks out when you set him on little or big potty

jenniferrozos

Asked by jenniferrozos at 8:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• bump 4 u...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have you ever let him watch you do it ? Try that ,but with excitably , I act it out like it's really a big deal . It worked with mine. When they see you love them unconditionally they really open up to min icing you.
    SINCERE560

Answer by SINCERE560 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Have you tried a social story with him? Is he verbal? If he's not, does he have a PECS in place to help him when he needs to go. In short, if he freaks out when you set him on the potty, he isn't ready.
    Many children with autism, especially ones that aren't high functioning, tend to potty train much later. My son was 6 when we were finally able to train him - and that was a HUGE day. Of course, once he did it, he has never ever had an accident, he's now 13. I made it very visual for him, put it on his schedule several times/day, and gave him a reward when he went (honeybuns were his favorite, fortunately at the time, a neighbor stocked vending machines and would let us have them at wholesale!). Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011