Calories in and out

I'm getting the hung of calories in and calories out. However, I still don't really how many calories I'm burning. Each website I use for my weight loss doesn't have my workouts listed. They have part but not full cause in my DVD's it's a mix of things.

So my question is. which are better to get a heart rate thing that also shows calories burned, or get one of the all in ones, that do calories in and out, how many steps I take in a day, heart rate and it does something else can't rember.

Thank you

red_head_mommy2

Asked by red_head_mommy2 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• As long as it has a heart rate monitor - one where you can enter your age, weight, height etc in it should give you a fairly accurate reading of calories burned. The rest of it is just extra stuff you may like to have. I think the ones with the chest straps will be the best because it'll give you your most accurate heart rate.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In my opinion, the bodybugg is the most efficient as it is worn on your body 24/7 rather than just during a workout. I have a bodybugg and a heart rate monitor. I have found that the bodybugg is much more efficient. I am 5'1", 111 lbs and 36 yrs old... my bodybugg tells me that I burn about 297-300 calories during a 60 minute DVD ( cardio and strength), my HRM says 395...there is no way I'm burning that many calories lifting 3-5 lb weights...especially when I burn 400 calories running 4.5 miles.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree that a heart rate monitor that you can program your information into is a great idea. I've heard good things about the BodyBugg, too. Either option may be what you're looking for.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• BTW, all of the measurements are going to APPROXIMATE. You don't have to count calories to lose weight. How long can you really keep that up??
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I've always gone by the rule of thumb.....if your heart rate is 130 or above, you're burning about 10 calories per minute. Any machine that says you're burning more than that is wrong - I dont care if you put your weight and age in. There is just no way you're going to get me to believe that I am burning 1500 calories an hour on the elliptical. I always estimate 100 calories for every ten minutes of intense exercise (that's after I get my heart rate to 130....holding it there). Interval training is a better way to blast away calories, though. It is a lot harder for your heart rate to come down and then go back up again quickly than it is to maintain a steady count.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011