Can you name one thing that Welfare recipients can't afford when it comes to leisure and entertainment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• with the exception of the ones cheating, i would say the average person on it cant afford much of anything, i grew up a kid on assistance, i know we had FS (this was back when you wait in line forever and get a booklet). i dont know what else we got, but i do know for me to have gotten anything good was a big deal. one year for christmas we got bookbags and jackets. its not all fun and roses, i remember not being allowed to get a package of cookies because there wasnt enough FS left. and clothes always came from friends or the place that gave them to needy families. we seems to bash the other moms that are on it but forget how those kids feel, they arent stupid and they know what is going on, i know i did i just never mentioned it because i didnt want to make my mom cry any more than she did.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Seriously? I'm about up to my head in these dumb questions aimed at bashing people who get welfare.

I work my a$$ off and YES I am on PA. I don't just sit around and gather tax payers money, i work for a living and I got to school. But still its just not enough to make sure my sons have food on the table and clothes on their back so excuse me for ASKING for help.

People need to stop being so damn selfish and be thankful that their money is going to help people in need! I barely make enough but I am selfLESS enough to give someone 5 bucks for milk or bread if they needed it.

Only a small amount of people abuse the system so stop assuming just cause a few do that every one of us does.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Why? I am so tired of seeing posts about others judging people on welfare! Yes there are people that take advantage of the system but there are people now that are really hurting.
    Anonymous

• I'm on welfare now and though little things like a munchy on the weekend or something is fine, I'd really really love to go to the movies. Especially before I have the baby which should be any time now. (And NO I didn't get pregnant just to have more $. I was working and had insurance when I got pregnant but life happens). I'd love to see Water for Elephants but won't because I don't think its right to spend the $ on something like that when I could be using it for better things or saving it.
    Anonymous

• I'm with everyone else. WHat is the point of this question except to find out how poor people are spending their money and bash them for it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• What the heck kind of question is this?? I am not on welfare but with people losing their jobs left and right It could happen to anyone at anytime.Yes there are people that take advantage of the system but thats the governments fault not the peoples. I don't get this at all I mean even if you were on welfare don't you deserve some sort of a normal life.What if your on welfare? you cant watch a movie or get a burger off the dollar menu just to treat yourself.God forbid if you ENJOY Life!!!!!!
    mammaangelof4

Answer by mammaangelof4 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• eye rolling

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Really, rude? And having 30% of my family's income stripped away from us because we had the audacity to plan and bust our asses all year is only fair right?! Not rude at all to garnish my wages when it is proven that those who have zero tax liability are higher consumers of tax funded programs than those who actually pay into them...and I don't mean "pay in some and then get it refunded at the end of the year". I'm not "lucky"...I didn't find a pot of gold...I didn't win the lottery...I ate my fair share of ramen while I was in school and lived in crappy apartments...but I didn't think I was entitled to the money of others, and I didn't have kids before I could afford them. I guess my parents raised me to believe that if you want to eat more than ramen and live in places that aren't infested with bugs, you better pull your own ass up, get an education, and PAY YOUR OWN WAY!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• badeye rolling

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• lets see, cable, tv, movies, internet, toliet paper, eating out, gas for the car to go anywhere, circus tickets, carnival ride tickets for their kids, any extra ciricular activities for their kids like summer rec, summer rec trips, money to bring on school trips, school trips that the parents have to kick money in for, girl scout dues, any girl scout activities that include driving, or money to go not covered by troop, taking the kids to the zoo, or amusement park, or museam, or the paint and take ceramic place, or the mall because you might see something the kids would want, basketball and football games even if its a high school game(you have to pay to get in plus treats) I think I got it all.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011