My BF and I want to learn about different religions? Can you suggest what to research and what to stay away from?

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 9:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I suggest you start with the "Belief-O-Matic" test at beliefnet. First because there's no way you can research ALL religions. There are hundreds of beliefs out there, it's impossible to truly research them all in the proper manner that will make you knowledgeable enough to truly make a proper judgment. Second, you ask us, we will tell you about our beliefs and why they're appropriate for us, but you may have different views of the world and I can recommend you research my religion (I'm an Orthodox Jew) but it may not be something that will fulfill you. With this simple test (and it's surprisingly accurate!) you can at least narrow your choices down and do a proper research and analysis of those faiths that are already compatible wit hyour own beliefs.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Research them ALL. Be aware though that MANY websites are full of bogus information and biases.

If you're interested at all in wiccan or paganism send me a message and I'll share some resources.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Just research them all... compare them to what you two are looking for and then research some more...
    If what your read isn't for you, then you chalk it off your list... but remember, you will run into a lot of biases
    information so be open to dig a bit deeper...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't think you should stay away from any of them! I'm a Pagan, and with the amount of misinformation out there about Pagans, Wiccans and Witches, I would say you definitely need to get the facts there. (Self plug allert) Which you can do on my blog! (End self plug) As well as quite a few other places...

Here's what I'm doing... I pulled up the lists of Dummies, Idiots and Everything Books and simply started reading EVERY RELIGIOUS one I could find from those three lines. Right now I'm reading Christianity for Dummies. Next is Islam for Dummies... It's really an awesome way to get all the basic information and actually understand what they are talking about when it comes to the confusing stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Research anything your interested in. Just because you research it doesn't mean you have to believe it. ;)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• research all of them no need to be afraid of any just because you research a certain religion and you dont like it doesnt mean your going to get a curse put on you
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 9:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Research as many as interest you and stay away from those that dont.

Its up to you what you find interesting...if you listen to some they'd say dont look at Christianity and others would say dont look at anything BUT Christianity so just go where your heart leads.

Talk to people, read books online and off, go to various churches if you'd like and just have fun!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with everyone who said to study many of them. It helps to be knowledgeable of all the differences to figure out what seems to be the right path for you. That belief-o-matic quiz can be very helpful as well. Some of the results are a little vague though, so you might find several 'religions' lumped into one or two categories, but it would be a good thing to start with. I took it for the first time recently, and my top 3 or 4 results were very accurate for my beliefs. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Read about them ALL ... study deeper the ones that catch your attention. I don't think there is any that you should "stay away from".
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Go buy a BIBLE.. They have many translations but I suggest the NLT or NIV and that''s what you need to live by.. Anything else is worthless and you find many instructions in the Bible. Best of Luck to you and I'm glad you are interested in wanting to know of different religions. Jesus is the only way
    ashlee03

Answer by ashlee03 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2011