Extended Rear Facing????

So who is with me that ERF is safer than putting your child forward facing? this will probably start some discussion but be nice. I had this lady calling me insane and overprotective because I put my son who is 2 years and 8 months(will be 3 yrs in august) he is about 28lbs now and about 36 inches tall now. He is small for his age but not underfed(like she thinks) He eats so much but if you look at my moms side of the family they are all tiny and eat so much! Just different metabolisms....anyways she called me insane and overprotective because he is ERF in a Graco my ride 65 convertible carseat. She says he should be forward facing because OMG if I get into an accident his legs will be broken! Oh no! ------I would so rather have my sons legs broken then him be forward facing and break his neck and suffer spinal cord injuries and possibly die if not be paralyzed!

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I am definitely crazy and overprotective then. 2 of mine are still RF. My 5yo went FF when she turned 4, my middle DD will be 4 in July and is still RF and my DS is 2 and is RF. Their legs bend and are just fine, and I guarantee they will not break lol. My 5yo even asks to sit in her sisters seat sometimes. They are just as comfy that way, (when they sit ff their legs are dangling off the seat, imagine how comfy THAT is). All mine technically could FF or RF if I wanted. I feel it is MUCH safer for them to RF until the LIMITS of their seats or when they turn 4 (whichever comes 1st). Some people, especially older ones who let their kids ride without a seat belt would think we're crazy. They never had laws or the car seat knowledge we have now. When you know better, you do better.

Oh and for those kids that unbuckle try the cop routine. I tell them the police will pull us over and we'll get a ticket. That usually works.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my children turned around at 1 year and 20 pounds, in a convertible carseat of course that fit their height/weight. i wouldn't call you overprotective and definitely not insane. extended rear facing is another choice that is up to the parent to make. i wont say anything more because this argument can turn ugly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• U arent over reacting... If hes small for his age u are doing the right thing, it goes my size not age,
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You are fine! There are many women on here who rear face for a REALLY long time. I Rf my son until 21 months. I would have gone until 2, but we went on a long vacation and needed the little extra space. Good job for providing the best for your child.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• well, to answer your question of 'why this lady would call me insane and overprotective for erf'........ some people just make it their life's mission to give advice to everyone. it doesn't seem to matter if they know about the topic or not. some people are just like that....outspoken, rude and ignorant. i don't let it bother me and if she brought it up to me again i would simply say 'broken legs are a whole lot easier to fix than a broken spine. why don't you educate yourself before you make a fool of yourself in front of someone else?' yes, i am very direct, but it gets the job done. there are alot of people who have no idea what they're talking about but it doesn't seem to phase them
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• They say to only do RF up until the recommended measurements that the car seat suggests. If his legs are too long by recommendation of the car seat then yes I'd turn him around. Everyone thinks I dont feed my son because u can see his ribs but he eats like a manic.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• TNM786 yeah I know its a choice for every parent and I am not criticizing parents that dont ERF but I am just wondering why this lady would call me insane and overprotective for ERF??? I found this on American Academy of Pediatrics website:

Children under age 2 are 75% safer rear facing than forward facing.
    Children in the second year of life are five times less likely to die or be seriously injured in a crash if rear facing than forward facing.
    Only approximately 1 in 1,000 children who are rear facing will suffer a lower extremity injury. That rate is much higher for forward facing children.
    The back seat is the safest place for all children to ride.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• oh and no his legs dont even bend yet when rear facing so he is definitely not there yet. Even then I will still keep him rear facing as long as his height and weight is below the carseats limits. He has a longer torso than legs for his height.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• TNM786 yeah I know its a choice for every parent and I am not criticizing parents that dont ERF but I am just wondering why this lady would call me insane and overprotective for ERF???

who knows, she's just crazy and thinks its her place to judge when it isn't.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We dicided that since our son is an escape artist who can almost get out by himself, so at 20lbs we flipped him. He tries to escape less when he can see out the window and we never get to be surprised by him figuring out the shoulder buckle. Generally for us we chose to flip it because forward facing car seat is better then no car seat,
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 10:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011