Why do people think these "charity" shows are so great ?

Extreme makeover: home edition is one of them...... they come and build these people a new house and act like they are changing their lives for the better and going to make everything so nice and perfect - and maybe it will be for the first month.... and then they find out how many taxes are added to their mortage, or how much money they have to pay back at income tax time...Same thing with shows like Oprah -- she gives people cars and stuff.... well after they have to pay taxes and such on those cars I am betting they wish they never got the car and were still walking !

I mean i dont understand why people still chose to participate in these things ( actually I bet some of them just want on tv and doesnt think it all the way through) ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• because we like it when people 'win'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• but they are NOT winning.... in fact they usually lose more.... like the people who get new houses, they have to pay more on their mortage and then it goes into forclosure when they cant pay it ------- it is so stupid that they do this and still expect to be called "charity"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Maybe some people are still naive and don't know that there is a final bill that will need to be paid.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• These families are generally in actual NEED, they have medical issues/problems etc(do you even watch the show>???) that Im sure their lives are better than they were before, with their house falling apart etc....they had to pay taxes before, but they also have a house worth more for the future. Regardless, yes I think they are great and love watching them.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'd be happy if I got a new car and all I had to pay was taxes .... $25,000 or $2,000
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• And no, they dont have to pay more on the mortgage, sometimes they even get it paid off....do your research maybe????
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yeah, paying taxes for a car is still much cheaper than buying the car itself. you could always sell the car and even then the sell price-taxes you paid will still be a nice profit for you. with the people who win the house....of course they will have more taxes to pay. i hope their property value will increase since they're getting a brand new home instead of the crappy one they had. again, the tax payments are still less than the cost of the house. and if they really wanted to they could sell some of the stuff out of the home if they are that desperate and strapped. i don't really think it's a matter of not participating bc it's not completely free. you still are ahead in the end.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I honestly like the shows bc they are doing good. I know maybe things arent always as perfect as they seem, but a family who has a sick child and needs a home that helps the child get better.. is worth it.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It's a show. They hook viewers. I don't c much charity but profit. If they were not getting paid (which they all are) then it's charity.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• 'win'..in quotation.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011