Are there any other Psych Majors out there?

I got my BS in Psychology and am currently working as a case manager for MR/DD adults. I have no interest in therapy or counseling at all... I want to get into more research. But people ALWAYS come to me and say "you're a psychologist aren't you?" Then start spilling out their problems. I just want to get a tatoo on my head that says I AM NOT A THERAPIST! I never know what to say to them. I even had my friends mom texting me the other night telling me how depressed she was. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't want to be rude and tell them to stop.. .but at the same time I really am not a therapist, I'm no good with this type of thing. If you're depressed, go see a REAL therapist. I try to tell them that but some of them just don't get the hint.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I majored in psych as well and for a few years was a CM at a male substance abuse unit -- I had my fill of solving people's problems -- so when people would approach me like that, i would simply tell them that I am NOT a therapist, I am a drug counselor -- if you need advice relating to drug abuse, I can help you, otherwise, let me refer you too ............... You don't want toburn bridges because you may one day become a therapist and could use these referrals to build a potential business. :-) G'luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have my degree in Psych and one in Human Services management. Like you I have no want or need to be a therapist but would rather focus on doing social work. I went for the degree in Psych because my mom and aunt were both therapist and I have two special needs children. To answer your question yes, lol the same thing happens to me. I have people call me, or ask me all the time about mental illness, therapy or just come pour out their hearts.

Answer by gemgem at 10:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• psych major yes but im doing nursing so i just tell them i changed direction. i cant stand hysterical people, so its not for me.
    when they do come to you, be a mirror, just repeat what they say that way its little effort on your part but they will still feel heard, and again, specify that you do research... :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 12:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011