Blisters- To pop or not pop?

I have my client's coming to me ALL The tiem with blisters on their fingers and they want needles to pop them. I tell them all no, don't pop it. And they all insist that they have to be popped! So to pop or not to pop?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• I always pop so they'll dry out and heal faster.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My philosophy on blisters is to leave it intact as long as possible to give the skin at the base of the blister a chance to thicken and toughen up a little. If you pop it right away, the new skin is very soft and sensitive; it will hurt and possibly cut or tear easily, making a risk of infection. The longer you leave it the better. But of course it depends where the blister is, and left unpopped, they can be very very annoying, so sure, pop it if it's driving you crazy, but put up with it as long as you can. A few hours or a day.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are a lot of things we should and shouldn't do but in this case I WOULD POP IT just pierce with a needle but at the same time have a tissue right next to it bc when it leaks out you want to make sure it leaks onto the tissue not onto the skin or else you might have more growing and make sure you (they) wash that area daily until it drys up and shrinks. GL to the clients :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I let them be until they pop them selves. A lot of times they will do it. I keep it covered with a bandaid most of the time bc I dont want to hit it on anything. Now if it was really red and needed to be popped then I would do it!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• client's??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• http://www.sportsmd.com/SportsMD_Articles/id/370.aspx

"... the skin overlying the blister is protective and should remain in place as long as possible. A common mistake athletes make is to remove the overlying skin of the blister. This exposes the underlying skin to possible infection. Also, removing the skin causes increased pain because raw nerve endings are exposed."

"The question most often asked is “Should I drain the blister?” The answer depends on whether the blister is filled with fluid or not. Because the pain from the blister is caused by pressure from the built up fluid, draining a blister that is filled with fluid will immediately reduce the pain associated with a blister."

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When you pop them, you are more susceptible to infection. So no, Don't pop.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I do not to pop them, but I do drain them.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 12:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I pop them with a needle so that they dry out faster but I leave the skin on them so that it protects the fresh skin under it while it does dry out.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I drain them. Because then they dry our quicker.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2011