Are there other Christians who believe......

that our religion isn't the only way to get to heaven? I seem to have gotten into it with another mom on another Q about this and it got me thinking. I am a practicing Catholic who believes Jesus was the son of God and that he died for our sins. But I don't think that only the people who believe what I do get into heaven. The way may be straight and few may get in (something the other mom quoted.) But few is relative when you are coming from the point of view of creating a universe! Is it truly the christian belief that millions of others are going to hell because they don't agree with us? I don't agree with this at all!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe what the bible says ... the bible says there's only one way and that is through Jesus Christ. Accepting Him as your savior and living for Him. The bible says God doesn't want any to perish wnich is why Jesus came down from Heaven to be born and to ultimately give His life. John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whosoever believes in Him would not perish but have everlasting life. Hell (or the lake of fire) was not created for humans but for satan and his demons. However, people have made a choice to deny God, to deny Jesus, and to not believe in Him and therefore where they spend eternity is ultimately there choice.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• "Is it truly the christian belief that millions of others are going to hell because they don't agree with us?"

That's one of the reasons I became agnostic :( I couldn't stand to condemn billions of other people because they believed differently than me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• im with bonn. (again) i do think this is the only way to heaven. but i dont think that people who are catholic are not getting to heaven because they believe differently than a methodist (just an example). i think this is the principle foundation of gettin to heaven. sometimes biblical truth doesnt seem like the easy way. it can sound harsh. but thats what makes faith, and thats where obedience comes in.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Yeah, I can't get behind the idea that all those nice Buddhists and Jews and Muslims are going to Hell. I really don't think so.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Most people try so hard to be good and kind, I really believe that. And I think that, in the end, that's what God sees.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• No one can truly be good without Christ in their lives. This topic is always so controversial because no one wants to be condemned to hell. Thankfully, God is the ultimate judge and in the end he will be the one judging us all. So for all the comments on those who say "they" will or will not be going to heaven....I think not. Only God knows each of us for certain. There are many ways to get to christ but only one path to get to heaven....that's salvation through Jesus christ.
    Anonymous

• oldermomof5: u must be referring to OP.. I'm not catholic have never read Catechism only the bible and the bible does say.. the only way to the Father is through Jesus Christ. Also, alot of people don't understand the meaning of that verse. There is actually a place in Isreal that was called the "eye of the needle." In order to those especially rich to get through meant taking off or laying down alot of things in order for the camel to get through the eye. The person would have to get off of the camel, take whatever he had on the camel off, guide the camel through. Basically, it was harder for a rich man because of all of the things he had to let go of. We have to let go of the things of this world basically and many of us aren't willing to do that.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I believe what the Bible says. It's not about what I think or feel it should be. It is what it is.

There are lots of Christian based religions, and I think (for the most part) that they all agree on the major issues.

I'm no one to judge and I don't know the answer. I'll go by what the Bible tells me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Bonn, I didn't know that! Thanks for the history lesson!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Reneek3: Thanks. From going to a Messianic Jewish synagogue and listening to the teachings of a Jewish Rabbi.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2008