Do you know computers?

Okay, I thought I knew a small bit about computers, but this one has me stumped.
I just bought a desktop computer off craigslist. Seems like a nice computer for the price, just a little dusty. Well I hooked it all up, and sat in front of it expecting to be surfing the web from something other than my age old laptop. Then I realize there are password protected profiles on this computer. The only one I can click into, doesn't have administrative privledges, so I can't clean the comp, I cant change parental locks which won't even allow me on cafemom, and I just generally can't do anything on there.
I've tried contacting the previous owner, and the one time they wrote me back, they simply said I don't need a password to use the computer.
I can't afford to take the computer to a shop to have it wiped out, and I don't know what to do. I hate to think I just wasted all this money that could have gone on my growing family.
Please help, what should I do?

ModernMommie

Asked by ModernMommie at 9:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Technology

• Reformat the computer. It should have been done before they sold it to you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Contact the seller and ask to get the passwords to disable the profiles. The seller should have done so before you got it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Hit me up if you need help, I rarely check back on these answers.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• @twinsplus2more - Ive been constantly writing the previous owner. He only responded once, and he didnt give me any passwords. He simply said, I dont need passwords to use the computer.
    I agree the computer should have been cleaned out before I came into posession of it, but it wasnt. I never assumed anyone would leave their personal things on a computer they were selling.
    ModernMommie

Comment by ModernMommie (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The OS is XP? Here is a KB from Microsoft That could help you get pass that.   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421   Let me know how it works out. Also support for that OS has ended

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My mom's computer pops up requesting a password, but there isn't one - you just hit the enter key and it moves on past that. I know it sounds really simple, but I'd try that if you haven't yet. Other than that, I'd look for some kind of password cracking software. Or....if craigslist has it, tell the seller that if he doesn't give you the info you need you're going to dispute the sale with craigslist, since he's sold you a computer you can't use.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• @sweet11-12 - Its actually got Windows Vista installed on it.

@wendythewriter - I did try that. Which is why I was able to get into one of the three profiles on the computer ...

I think I am going to reformat the computer, so Ill let you all know how that goes ... thank you all for the help.
    ModernMommie

Comment by ModernMommie (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011