Please help

My son is almost 2 in a half and has always went to bed on his own in his crib without issues. We have always had a bedtime routine and this last two weeks has been a struggle. My husband has been gone for three months training for the army. I think my son is getting molars in, and the last week in a half or so he hasn't napped at all, and by bedtime he is soo exhausted. He will scream and scream until I stand there and rock him to sleep. Its wearing me down and I am out of ideas. I have tried everything. Anyone have any ideas how to get my son to go to sleep on his own again. I have had to rock him to sleep for the last week in a half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as soon as you can get him a daddy doll they are free for children of soldiers and you can get them at the cyss building. Also ask them if you dh can do a book recording for him. It's where daddy reads a bedtime story and they send you the book and the recording of him reading it. Also as soon as he gets a chance which i know is gonna be hard if he's in training try and set up a skype account so he can maybe see his dad. I hope this helps even just s little.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I still have to put my 2 1/2 year old son to sleep every night. My assumption is that I will miss it when he is a teenager!
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• He has one of those dolls, and also has a movie of his daddy reading him books that he watches every night. But my DH has been gone since January and this just started the last two weeks. He has never let me rock him to sleep his whole life. He has always prefered to go to bed on his own in his crib. I enjoy the cuddling, but this isn't like my son, and I dont have a rocking chair so I have to stand and do it, and it is killing my shoulders. And my husbands in AIT so he is unable to skype or make phone calls often. He will be graduating in two weeks. I just need to find a way to get my son back to going to bed. We are moving to texas in a month so we have a lot of big changes coming up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I went through this. Eventually I had to add to the routine: 2 books (no more, no less) and a sippy cup of chocolate milk at bed time (white milk with a tiny bit of hershey's syrup in it). It takes a few nights of putting them back into bed over and over. First read the books and get the drink. Then tuck them in and say "good night , I love you." When they come out, put them back into bed and simply say good night. IF they come out again put them back into bed without saying anything. I had a hard time dropping the "i love you" from the second part- but for some reason saying it fuels their desire for attention and they will get up over and over if you keep saying it (I learned this the hard way). Hope this helps! Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my 2 yr old is autistic,she got up repeatedly all night long every single night over and over for months the moment she learned to open doors,it was terrible,finally I talked to her doctor and he put her on a sleeping medication and advised we put a door knob cover thing on the inside of her bedroom and put up a tall walk thru gate,it took awhile,I want to say a few weeks?maybe more? We go thru our routine,I put her in bed,give her a sippy of nestles strawberry water,turn on her movie,shut her door and tell her goodnight.If she is screaming I always go check on her and place her back in bed,now weeks later she is doing so much better.Just be consistent and keep working at it.Maybe get him a toddler bed?
    mum2flowers

Answer by mum2flowers at 10:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• This is a normal thing for 2.5 year olds to do. I have had many parents ask me about this in fact! Usually I ask them if there are any stresses at the moment & it seems like there is a significant one! I think you need to be sensitive to his need for a little more cuddling as he is making up for a whole person not being there, I know its hard though! I think the PP about changing bits of the nighttime routine is a good idea, but stop rocking him (since it's hurting you!) maybe tell him once he's in bed you will stay for 1 min extra and stroke his head or sing to him, but when you're done you're done. The reason this is just happening? Probably just has to do with a typical developmental phase corresponding with his dad's absence. It would be good to figure this out b4 the move it will be a whole new stress & if you set up a strong system now, it will go better when this happens again.
    Good Luck!
    Stef
    http://askananny.com
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011