Has anyone made a big move out of state with a toddler?

In about a month the Army is moving my family from Illinois to Texas. I have a 2 1/2 year old, and I am starting to freak out. I am so scared to leave everything I have ever known. And also to uproot my son from what he knows. Also scared of making an 18 hour drive with just me and my son. Has anyone else done this, or have any advice? I am driving myself crazy worrying about it.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 9:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I drove from Michigan to Texas by myself with 3 children, ages 1, 3, and 5. Bring lots of snacks, make sure you can reach your son to hand them to him. Do you have a protable dvd player? If you do that's always great. Also, I slept the day we were leaving and took off at the kids bedtime, that way they were fast asleep for the biggest part of the trip. Oh and I didn't have a credit card so I put money on a walmart card so I could fill up at the pump. Good Luck!
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I do have a portable dvd player. It worked wonders when we drove to missouri. But An 8 hour drive is way different than a 2 day drive, and Im so scared to do it alone. Ive never driven more than an hour by myself.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We had to move last year and it was a 24 hour drive I took with my son (18 mos at the time). He slept a lot during most of the drive but he also cried a lot because it was such a long drive he just wanted to be out of his carseat. I have a TV in my SUV and that was only entertaining sometimes. In my opinion is was the worst and if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have done a DITY move lol I would have just took a plane. But good luck to you hope you have a safe travel and all turns out well.
    BrandyTheMommy2

Answer by BrandyTheMommy2 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thank you. Whats a dity move? This is our first move to our first duty station. But we have two cars so we will both have to drive.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011