What were your parents rules about....

after high school?

did they require you to go to college?
did they require you to get a job?
did they tell you you had to move out?

what were the rules that were set down for YOU and how does that play into your rules for your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• well I got knocked up right after high school so I got a job asap
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my parents rules were go to college or move out.
    If I went to a jr. college i was allowed to stay rent free at home, and they would pay.
    If I went to an actual college I had to help pay by taking a loan but was allowed to come stay rent free for summers.

hubs...
    His parents rule was college. (no choice) it was paid in full for As and Bs only. He had to pay back any other grade. Grad school was on his dime.

Our rule:
    College or move out. We will pay for As and Bs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had no rules set down for me, I was spoiled and wish I hadn't been so much. My 5 children are told they have to go to college or a trade school after high school. And if they aren't in some kind of school and still living with me they'd better have a job because they will pay bills.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• onemellowmom.... right after high school... so was it before you went away to school? and did you have to forfeit an acceptance? or were you not going to college?

did they allow you to stay or did you have to move out and figure it out?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• So lovinlifewith5... if they chose to not go to school but to get a job you would still allow them to live at home???? for how long???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• College was a must. Working PT was a must. I was able to live at home as I always did. Instead of going to HS everyday, I went to my college courses and then work everyday. I moved out at the age of 22.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had a job during high school so I could buy all those cute clothes I wanted.
    They HOPED I would go to college -- I didnt immediately, but eventually complete my BA
    They never told me I had to move out -- I was always welcome home.

My rules will be -- I dont want my children to work during high school (they have their whole life for that).
    They MUST go to college IF they hope to receive their trust funds (written into the trust fund -- must have degree)
    They will never be asked to move out.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with loveinlifewith5. That is basicy the things, I have told my three kids. I've told them, they can always come back home but they'd have to pay their way - I was not free hotel after high school.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My rules - had to be going to a University or Community college - either on campus or at home. Parents would help pay for 1st degree. Job in summer, no rent to parents. Any degree after 1st - I had to pay for.

Same rules for my children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• rephrase -- They will never be asked to move out IF they are going to college -- but must have a part-time job. If they are not going to college, they must work fulltime and contribute to the bills AND no overnight guests of the opposite sex.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011