Premature

when is it safe to have a baby? In what month obviously 40 weeks or 37 to 42 weeks is the absolute best but before that when is it ok or still o very good chance for baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• my friend had preeclampsia and had to deliver at 28 weeks...the baby had to stay in the NICU for 3 months but other than that shes a healthy 4 year old now! :)
    summer11baby

Answer by summer11baby at 10:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It is safest once you hit or pass your due date. Having your baby come on it's own between 37-42 weeks is best. They say after 27 weeks the baby's lungs are developed enough that if the baby came, there's a good chance, but if and only if there is no other options,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had my daughter at 32 1/2 weeks. A month later I was able to take her home
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 10:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There is a good chance for babies to be healthy after 27 weeks but that doesn't guarantee that everything will be ok with the baby. I had my first child at 32 weeks, he was healthy for the first week but then at 7 days old he developed an infection that caused his intestines to die (NEC). The infection was a result of his being fed before his intestines could digest food. He passed away when he was 9 days old. So while many babies born after 27 weeks would be ok, not all are. My doctors were attempting to get me to 34 weeks because they said the chance of a healthy baby was much higher at 34 weeks than 32 or even 33. I'm not sure why that is.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 11:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2011