How do you know if you are in labor?

38 weeks, just curious if I am in labor or what?? Having alot of lower back pain that is goin in and out. Feel icky almost flu like.

trasynnsmom

Asked by trasynnsmom at 6:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Your water breaking is the biggest sign, and you will most definitely know when that happens. If you are worried you are having contractions call your doctors office. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• The baby will come out. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Your pain COULD be early labor, or it could just be the strain of carrying around that belly. Watch for more symptoms (water breaking or leaking, your belly tightening, etc). It's unlikely that this will be all you feel before baby is born, so trust me when I say that YOU'LL KNOW.

Otherwise, if you really think this might be it, go to L&D...you won't be the first women to waddle in there and get sent home, and they won't think you're stupid for coming in!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Even if you are starting labor, I would recommend you wait. The montra for contractions is "longer, stronger, and closer together." If you go into L&D too early they'll just send you home. If your plan is for meds or not, try to stay at home as long as you can unless it's really far to the hospital. A lot of times the water doesn't break until you are more dilated so you don't have to wait for that to happen. It is portrayed in movies like the gun going off to start a race, like there is no labor, water breaks, and bang you're in labor. That's not always the case.

Contractions feel like very intense menstral cramps, though some women describe it as feeling like being kicked in the belly. A lot of times the pain is severe in the back (not quite the tailbone, a little higher) and can radiate down the legs.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Oh believe me, you'll know. I always thought people saying that was nonsense and ran to the hospital for like 3 days thinking all this pain HAD to be labor. It hurts, a lot. You might be in pre-labor but you could also just be having stronger Braxton Hicks Contractions. But as always, when in doubt, call a doctor! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Braxton Hicks contractions | BabyCenter

Nov 30, 2008 ... How to recognize these painless uterine contractions that happen throughout pregnancy.
    www.babycenter.com/0_braxton-hicks-contractions_156.bc -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• How to Tell if You're in Labor

Filed In:. Pregnancy & Childbirth. How to tell if you're in labor. The beginning of labor is not always easy to define. There are some ways to find out. ...
    pregnancy.about.com/library/howto/htlabor.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• When I went in labor with my son, I went to bes feeling kinda "off". When I woke up I felt like I had period Cramps and was waiting for my doctor to open to see if it was normal. About 5 min. before They opened blood went everywhere, bad. I went to the hopital and I wa in labor! I dont know if this will help, but I hope so! Good luck to you and merry Christmas to you and your family!
    hhmm702

Answer by hhmm702 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you have a question about it, it'slikely not labor. The biggest sign is contractions. Water breaking really isn't. You can have a baby without your water ever breaking.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008