To mom's who've had a child have to stay in hospital, do you stay or do you go home?

My one month old was recently admitted to the hospital for respitory difficulties. It was a no brainer for me, I would stay and between dh and my parent's would take care of my other kids. There was a baby we shared a room with and his parent's didn't stay. They would come be with him for 8hrs between them both. Now I was the one paiging the nurses letting them know the baby was crying or what not because they could not hear him. This really bothered me.
I know they have another child but they didn't seem to be there for their baby at all. The nurses kept asking if they had made arrangements to be able to stay the night with him and they always said no.
So basically I'm tying to understand why a parent wouldn't stay with their baby in the hospital.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• she was 2, so she had her own hospital room...My dd spent 1 week in the hospital.. I did not leave her room once during the whole stay.. My dh was very lucky at the time & could work remotely so even he got to stay with us- only leaving to get food, and our family would bring us whatever we needed from home.
    I do know of someone who couldnt stay with their child- but it was because the hospital didnt supply anything for the parent & they didnt have the money to stay in a near-by hotel :( it was heartbreaking for them since they lived an hour away..
    another person i know couldnt stay but they felt their child was being cared for by the staff & since the child was a baby them being there 24/7 "didnt matter"
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I stayed Everytime my Kids had to be put in the Hospital But there were a few time My son was in a unit where i couldent so I had to stay in the Nearest Hotel .... but seen him soon as i was able
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 10:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I stayed with mine no questions asked.
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 11:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I stayed with mine. Not everyone is able to stay with their child 24/7, especially single parents. Some parents have to work to provide the insurance that will keep that child in the hospital for treatment, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i stayed or my husband did. However somtimes you cant blame people for how THEy themselves where raised. Maybe that is all they know?
    mamarod6

Answer by mamarod6 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I always stayed except when they were in a ward that i couldn't like nicu.
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I've never had any of my kids in the hospital, thank God, but I would surely be there for them every single day if that were to happen. I feel so bad for that baby, I know there are work responsibilities and who knows what else may be going in their lives but children come first and you should do what you need to do in order to be there for them, especially in sickness.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It is possible that they couldn't "get it" that they could split shift it and they might not have had the support system.

The one night my oldest was admitted I stayed with him and my mom and DH took care of things at home until we got back. Luckily, it was a 1 night thing.

I distinctly remember my mom leaving me in the hospital when I was 11. Yes, I was older, but I was terrified, and very sick. I think I would have gotten better soon had she been allowed to stay.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would stay with them, unless someone else would for a little bit while I went to see my other kids. No way would I leave them alone in the hospital.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In my case it was my first child and he was a newborn so of course I stayed. My son was having trouble getting the bf down and I was trying to suppliment but it did not work and he got dehidrated and needed to be put in the hospital he was only a week old. I am sorry but I do not understand at least the mother not staying with the child.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 11:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011