My husband is at war and i need some advice :(

Hey ladies. So heres my situation. Im 19 years old and My husband had just left to afghan about a month ago. we have a 7 month old baby together. My husbands Family can be so controlling and I hate it. Me and his mother just had a huge fight about 2 days ago and she threatened to take me to court for visitation rights. I really dont want her seeing my son at all for disrespecting me so badly but i know I have to because it is her grandson. I want her time with him to b fair but as little as possible. How often and for how long do you think i should allow her to see my son? Please let me know your opinion. Thanks :)

xaviersmami123

Asked by xaviersmami123 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think 2 hours every other week is generous. She can take that and like it or not see him. YOU are in control of your family not her

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know it's rough with hubby being away. I'm in the same boat... I will not say it gets easier because so far for me it hasn't. But anyway, it's rough when you don't have a good relationship with his family/mother. In my opinion it's important to form an stable relationship with his family so that you would feel comfortable letting her see the baby. I would say maybe let her see him on the weekends. Besides that will be a good little break for you as well. Good luck with your situation.
    BrandyTheMommy2

Answer by BrandyTheMommy2 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You don't have to allow it. There are no grandparents rights in a situation like this. I'd stop in and let him visit then take him home with you or invite her over for dinner.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• thanks so much for your reply. It is really hard and i wish it wasnt. His mother has had it out for me since the day i met her son and i dont understand why. Shes the type of person that thinks shes better than everyone. But as much as i wanted to, I never disrespected her in any way. Now that ive taken so much of her abuse im just tired and im so over her bull. I hate that my son has to b in the middle of this and i wish she didnt have to see him at all. Do you think it would b terrible if i only let her see him 2 hrs every other week?
    xaviersmami123

Comment by xaviersmami123 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I know it's hard, but I wouldn't limit her time with him too much- it will just give her more reason to disrespect you and cause problems. If you live near each other I choose a time once a week or so to let her see him. If you can't stand to be around her drop the baby off for a few hours or overnight and use that time for yourself. Try to be the bigger person, the last thing your husband should have to be worried about right now is the relationship between the two women he loves most.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I would also make them supervised visits and make her come to your house! Do not let her take him anywhere by herself! She could try to pull some crap and call the cops on you for anything, who knows! She sounds like they type!
    KKCMom

Answer by KKCMom at 11:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011