Ground Turkey---Help

I bought about a 4 pound package of ground turkey. I made chili with half of it.
It was awful. My husband ate some and said it was okay. I ate a little and threw the rest away.
Well what am Igoing to do with the remaining 2 pounds. The idea of anything made out of it is not appetizing.
I guess I could cook it up for the dogs.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
In the last few years I have developed "Picky Eater Syndrome". I could eat just Dannon Coffee Yogurt. I just cannot eat anything that is not appealing to me. My husband has to cut down on his cholesterol. That is why I decided to try ground turkey. Also, the idea of pink slime meat is turning me completely off to beef.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Stick with it, you have to get used to the flavor because it is different. Ground Turkey can be flavorless if not prepared with additional seasoning. I think you should look for an appealing recipe at this web site: http://www.eatingwell.com  If you can't find an appealing recipe there, you should go with other lean meats.    I used to get the magazine and I cook lots of recipes from it; they are all good and healthy, too.

RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 12:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Not sure what kind of ground turkey you got but I use it to make everything- tacos, burgers, meatloaf, lasagna..... I haven't bought beef in over a year. You just have to find the right turkey.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Maybe the turkey is bad. For me, it's pretty easy to substitue for ground beef and doesn't really affect whatever it is too much.

Make it for tacos or taco salad.

Meatloaf.

Lasagna

Put it in spaghetti sauce

Make Turkey Burgers - get a package of hidden valley ranch dressing (the dry obviously), mix it with bread crumbs and a beat egg, top with cheddar cheese - yum!

Anonymous

• I love ground turkey. I prefer the Jennie-O brand. It's delicious!

Turkey bacon is delicious, too. I always buy the Oscar Mayer Louis Rich brand - very tasty.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Unseasoned turkey meat tastes hideous to us, so we like to use it in "heavier" dishes like tacos, taco salads, spaghetti, etc. We'll mix it 50/50 with beef if we make hamburgers...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Turkey Tacos ! The seasoning kinda covers up some of that turkey taste. You could do Turkey Meatballs...
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I season my meat well-- its kinda bland on its own. I agree with the posters above -- I use it in spaghetti and, yes, like you, chili so that I can disguise the taste. Maybe you can mix it with hamburger meat so that the remaining two lbs don't get wasted. Jennie=O brand is really good, but I just get the store brand of turkey. I used it for months instead of beef and DH would have never figured it out if I hadn't told him.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011