Anyone had their tubes tied right after babies birth? Please advise....

Im 24 weeks pregnant with my 4th and last baby, I have talked to the doctors and they said they can do the surgery before I go home after having the baby. Im concerned about what Im going to feel like after the surgery and if Im going to be able to brestfeed, I don't know anyone else whos had this surgery. Ive talked to my doctors and they both said different things about the pain, recovery, and breastfeeding. Can anyone help me or tell me about your experiences? Thanks so much!

JennMcBride

Asked by JennMcBride at 11:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It depends on which version you are doing. I couldn't have mine done in the hospital because our hospital is "Catholic" and doesn't allow BC. But I had it done 8 weeks later. I had my tubes clamped because I felt it was the right option for me. They made a small cut in my belly and another one in my belly button. I had a LOT of back and shoulder pain the next day because of the gas they use to float your organs apart so they can see - beyond that I never so much as had soreness at the cuts... And it never interfered with my nursing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks so much. Im not sure what my options are but the doctor did say something about cutting and burning? So Im assuming thats all they are doing. That would be another question to ask I guess lol.
    JennMcBride

Comment by JennMcBride (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had mine burned. This was the worst pain I have ever felt. (being honest) w/my first C-sec I was up and about, home doing the house work, laundry ( easily of course) but the 2nd go round w/ tubes.... shit... I hurt so bad that I was asking for the pain meds... I honestly wanted everyone to leave my room i hurt so bad. and I could smell the flesh.. no lie. It took me a little longer to bounce back from that but breastfeeding I had no issues with. (again, this was just MY experience and my honesty) Pain tolerance differs for all of us. take care momma. Need to chat hit me up.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Don't do it get on birth control. Do your research google PTLS I had one and i am suffering all the side effects and have been for 8 yrs.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have pcos and a bunch of other problems, and high risk pregnancies. Theres no other bc that I can be on, so I really dont feel like I have much choice.
    JennMcBride

Comment by JennMcBride (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had mine done with the burning procedure after my 3rd baby (and c-section). Pain-wise was better than my 2nd c/s. I had a bottle of percocet which was considered safe enough to take while BF baby but truthfully I think I may have taken a couple pills & got rid of the rest. Everyone is going to have a different reaction and experience. We had actually decided not to do it and our doctor told us he wouldn't do it if we changed our minds but during the c/s he noticed my uterine walls were extremely thin & asked us to reconsider so we just went ahead & did it. I've been fortunate not to have problems other than cramping more during my monthly or shortly after but my current doc said it could just be fluctuating hormones from not BF anymore. Has your DH considered a vasectomy? After all you will be having pain & recovery from the birth itself, it seems "easy enough" to have tubes tied but it might not be.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My DH insurance wont cover it and he can't take time off work to even have it done. My doctors think I need to get it done anyway to try and help with some of my problems.
    JennMcBride

Comment by JennMcBride (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My 5th was born at 10pm, and the next day at 2pm I had my tubes tied. They made a small incision in my belly button and did it all through that. Afterwards, for a couple of days, my abdomin did hurt when I got up to walk to the bathroom - but in the hospital I had nurses and at home I had DH and a couple of older kids to help. By about 5 days post partum I felt normal, the same as I did 5 days post partum with all my other kids. If you're having a c-section (didn't see it mentioned) it won't affect your recovery, if you have a vaginal birth, it won't affect your recovery much at all. But I've been told that anymore, no one will do a tubal til you're at least 6 weeks post partum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have a scheduled c-section for May 17th, 2011 and I am getting my tubes tied right after they take the baby out, i'll let you know how it goes :)
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks everyone for the advice!
    JennMcBride

Comment by JennMcBride (original poster) at 9:49 PM on May. 1, 2011