Should step parents that come into a child life after the age of 8 be able punish a child thats not theres

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Im sorry but if a child is in MY house ANY and all negative behavior will be disciplined by me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Absolutely. You allow a babysitter to punish your child for misbehavior, right? Why would a parent (even a step parent) not be allowed to? Now, if you think its a bit overbearing, I think the two of you need to sit and chat about what a suitable punishment would be.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well all depends on the situation, there has to be boundaries put in placed and adhered to in any case.

If everyone is under the same roof living as a family the step parent has to be able to enforce some type of discipline for unacceptable behavior, esp if the biological parent is not present, otherwise the kids end up ruling the home. However all forms for discipline must be agreed on and the step parent must go by them and know when to step back.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• if they are acting in loco parentis, then yes!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes, regardless of the age if the child is in your house they should abide by your rules and punished accordingly if they don't.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes.
    My sisters where 12 when my parents got together. My dad stepped up & was 100% their father. Its very important for the ADULTS to talk thru this BEFORE marriage.. and the bio parent should make it clear the new step parent is a PARENT to them.. Kids dont disrespect their teachers, or other adults, but alot of time they feel its OK to walk all over a step parent... and the bio parent & step parent should stand up together against this..
    Every family will be different. and that is OK.. as long as it is the ADULTS that decide on the boundaries & the children "follow" this.. Its just upsetting when the adults in the situation cant agree, that is when everyone suffers!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies on this. I don't care who's kid it is, if it's in my house it abides by my rules. I have a former friend that is no longer welcome in my house because of this. She wouldn't control her nephews and she knew what my rules where, when I asked them to not yell at me at my place, she got mad and hasn't been allowed back.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• yes, how can the parents have a untied front? Should the SAHM who is the step parent just allow the 8 or older child to get away with murder? That is rediclous!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I say yes the law says no. it also depends on how well the other parent responds I have been in my stepson life since he was born and used to speak to the bio mom but now that she is an unfit mother and my husband n I have custody of him she is always screaming hoe I am not his mother and I have no rights bla bla I am the disciple figure in my household I don't spank dad handles that dept for both kids I will put them in the corner take things away and make sure they understand what they have done wrong and how a better choices could have been made apparently in the BIOS eyes I am only supposed to support him and not have a bond I have searched high and low about step parent rights and according to the law we have none but my husband agrees we are in this together and it is our household if she don't like something she just takes us to court and the judge keeps asking the same question why are u here again?
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes. I was 9, my sister was 11, my brother was 7, and my stepbrothers were 6 and 8 when my mom married my stepdad. They were on the same page about rules and consequences - whoever was around when the infraction happened handled the discipline. It worked best that way. We knew that if our stepdad ever said something it was the same as if mom had said it.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2011