Pregnancy Weight

I am 21wks and 6days. I have gained 19lbs already. Is that too much too soon, or am I right at where I should be? I was a little underweight when I got pregnant.

dolphingoddess

Asked by dolphingoddess at 11:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am 31 weeks and have gained 30lbs, but my doctor doesn't believe it because she said I don't even look it because I was so little before I got pregnant. A lot of your weight gain is going to be water weight, excessive blood weight because your blood flow increases a lot, placenta, amniotic fluid, and baby. Most of the weight isn't even you actually getting fat. Once you have the baby, you will leave the hospital with a significant ammount of weight loss already because youre water weight will go down, and you no longer have the baby in your tummy, the placenta, or the amniotic fluid, and the blood flow goes down a bit because it isnt providing for the baby in your belly anymore. So I wouldnt worry too too much about "gaining too much weight too quick," especially if you were little before you got pregnant, you will have a tight, small frame, that should hold quite well.
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 12:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I packed on 70 pounds. Now that is a lot!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ask your doctor, but since you were a little under weight before pregnancy I think you're ok to gain a little more than the 25-30 pounds that is recommended, at least by my doctor.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I gained about 35-40. The woman in my family gain that much we are just genetically designed this way (mom, sister and cousins as well as my grandmother and my aunts--all gained this much).
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• This is my 3rd child and I never gained weight like this, this fast. Its new to me. I also had gestational diabetes with the other 2 pregnancies (worse with my 2nd). So I am a bit concerned about gaining so fast. I have to do my glucose test Friday since I had diabetes both times they want to test me early. I know this is TMI, but I think most of the weight is in my boobs! lol
    dolphingoddess

Comment by dolphingoddess (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i only gained 17 pounds the whole time i was pregnant and my dr harrped on me that i should b gaining more weight than that an insisted that i wasnt eating but I was... my daughter was born 7lbs7oz and 19in long completely healthy...so it all depends on your body really
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011